When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1946 Schwinn B6?

-

VR6GTiGuy

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello Schwinn experts. I picked this bike up last week. It was represented first and a 1946 Excelsior and then a Streamliner. I have been doing some reading and I am pretty sure it is a just a standard B6 Autocycle and that the 1946 date is pretty close. Here is what I know so far:

Serial number on bottom bracket: B88700
3/8" truss rods on non-locking fork
Built-in kickstand is tapered
Has drop center wheels, although I am not sure if they are correct (Bendix rear hub and generic front hub)

If my assumptions are correct, I am figuring I would need a Mesinger saddle with wear tabs, a pair of Persons or Torrington 10 pedals, a 6 hole rack and some script grips to make it fairly complete?

The rust is pretty bad in places and I really bought this as a parts bike for a future rat-rod/resto-mod project, but it is growing on me a bit.

1946Schwinn1-1.jpg

1946Schwinn2-1.jpg

1946Schwinn5-1.jpg

Any help is appreciated. Just not sure what direction I want to take with this.

Water it and fertilize it and let it grow on you some more before making any rash decisions.

looks like a goodrich badged bike.my 46 is in similar condition and has the flat lobdell hookbead wheels.

Attachments

• rr bay.jpg
    rr bay.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 446
Badge

Thanks everyone.

I noticed the badge was the same outline as several of the Goodrich bikes I had seen, but I did not think those usually had Schwinn decals on the tank and chain guard. I would like to find an appropriate badge for this bike at some point if I go the restore route. The paint is rough and the ivory is flaking off in several areas. Not sure how easy it would be to keep it original and have it look decent. I would need a badge that matches the outline if I keep do it original.

I am torn. My interest really lies with TOC through the motor bike period, but this could be a fun project. I just do not want to have more in to it than it is worth.

Last edited:
Could have had an Excelsior badge. I would clean it up add new rubber and a Mesinger seat then ride it. There's lots of good paint under all that grime. I think it would have had the BFG chain guard decal if it was a BFG bike. I thought of Brian's RR 46 above when I saw it.

Could have had an Excelsior badge. I would clean it up add new rubber and a Mesinger seat then ride it. There's lots of good paint under all that grime. I think it would have had the BFG chain guard decal if it was a BFG bike. I thought of Brian's RR 46 above when I saw it.
It would...

You will need to fix that fork!

Yeah, the fork is tweaked a bit. I have straightened plenty of forks and have an alignment jig so I am not to worried about that.

Keeping the original paint and finding the needed parts on budget will be the challenges.

If I take on the project I will start a thread.

Back