When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1946 Schwinn B6?

-

Hello Schwinn experts. I picked this bike up last week. It was represented first and a 1946 Excelsior and then a Streamliner. I have been doing some reading and I am pretty sure it is a just a standard B6 Autocycle and that the 1946 date is pretty close. Here is what I know so far:

Serial number on bottom bracket: B88700
3/8" truss rods on non-locking fork
Built-in kickstand is tapered
Has drop center wheels, although I am not sure if they are correct (Bendix rear hub and generic front hub)

If my assumptions are correct, I am figuring I would need a Mesinger saddle with wear tabs, a pair of Persons or Torrington 10 pedals, a 6 hole rack and some script grips to make it fairly complete?

The rust is pretty bad in places and I really bought this as a parts bike for a future rat-rod/resto-mod project, but it is growing on me a bit.

1946Schwinn1-1.jpg

1946Schwinn2-1.jpg

1946Schwinn5-1.jpg

Any help is appreciated. Just not sure what direction I want to take with this.
My understanding from researching my 46 B6 is the pencil stand is 46 only. The other 46 specifics I know of are the AS on the seat post clamp are "outy" instead of depressed, the tank instead of having sheet metal nuts inside is tapped, and last the rear fender is about 1/4" different in length from the upper fender mount point to the lower in back if the crank housing. I learned this from a knowlegeable west coast restorer when I couldn't figure out why an otherwise correct looking fender would not mount up.

That bike really doesn't need much .......

Yeah, the fork is tweaked a bit. I have straightened plenty of forks and have an alignment jig so I am not to worried about that.

Keeping the original paint and finding the needed parts on budget will be the challenges.

If I take on the project I will start a thread.

Only hard to find part would be a patina matching 6 hole rack ( which isn't even necessary really ) - other than that bars & grips - pedals - seat & seat post are simple items readily available here or on eBay - I would find what you can to just get her back on the road - clean up & grease all the bearings & ride - ride like the wind ...... dont even touch the paint & you would be surprised how many people will come up & ask you about it - or even offer to buy it from you -

Below are some of the crusty riders I like to ride when I can ......

Ride Vintage - Frank

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice Crusty Rides

That Firestone and the Shelby are pretty sweet.

I may end up going in that direction.

Frank is right, straighten the fork, get a saddle, and a rack shouldn't be too difficult.

Grease it, put on new tires and tubes then ride the piss out of it. I like bikes like this.

You can lay them down in the back of a SUV or truck and not worry about scratching

anything.

What he said...

Frank is right, straighten the fork, get a saddle, and a rack shouldn't be too difficult.

Grease it, put on new tires and tubes then ride the piss out of it. I like bikes like this.

You can lay them down in the back of a SUV or truck and not worry about scratching

anything.

This is a great bike and deserves to be revived. Just a little work and it will make a great rider with lots of character. Crusty bikes are my favorite.

Last edited:
You mentioned needing Schwinn scripted oval grips. If these will work for you, they are for sale. $20 shipped.

I agree with the others who suggest clean, grease, ride, and enjoy :cool:

Jay
[email protected]

Attachments

• photo 1 6.48.00 PM.JPG
    photo 1 6.48.00 PM.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 137
  • photo 2 6.48.00 PM.JPG
    photo 2 6.48.00 PM.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 135
Back