When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1946 Schwinn DX Pencil kickstand

-

BF2485

Finally riding a big boys bike
Working on tearing down a 46 Schwinn DX with the tapered "pencil" kickstand , has anyone ever seen a factory kickstand held in like this ? This bike is 100% original except tires to my knowledge, I havent seen a kickstand held in like this before...

112022072226.jpg

112022072801.jpg

111922160927.jpg

i am not sure , its an early postwar 45-46 bike

Your DX as I said before is an early 1945 pre-postwar build and looking at the kickstand retaining method and your chain stay to BB shell, I can only presume it's one of the "very first" built. Your chain stays are hand welded so this frame was made much earlier than the other 45 pieces that have shown up. This is the first one like this to pop up and it definitely shows the progression of the new post war improvements Schwinn was still developing. IMO that is a super cool piece of Schwinn's production history!

Here's your bottom bracket. A shot of your downtube to BB joint might show even more details of the EF'g progression.

1668958946794.png

Your DX as I said before is an early 1945 pre-postwar build and looking at the kickstand retaining method and your chain stay to BB shell, I can only presume it's one of the "very first" built. Your chain stays are hand welded so this frame was made much earlier than the other 45 pieces that have shown up. This is the first one like this to pop up and it definitely shows the progression of the new post war improvements Schwinn was still developing. IMO that is a super cool piece of Schwinn's production history!

Here's your bottom bracket. A shot of your downtube to BB joint might show even more details of the EF'g progression.

View attachment 1735958
so i should keep it ?

I almost made a huge mistake and parted it out , but when i was taking kickstand out i knew something was special about it , it didnt look like someone drilled the holes, it looked factory to me !

I agree that was a factory R&D deal on that kickstand. The stand tubes were made but the retaining hardware was not available when this piece was built. Super cool piece of Schwinn history there.

Back