When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1946 Schwinn Pullman B607

-

hzqw2l

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Here is my latest purchase. Just got it yesterday and need to start a complete detail.

1946 bike with pre-war style tank, solid steel truss rods, and center drop rim set. Should clean up to a 6.5-7.0 range rider. Perfect for next season.

100_1981-1.jpg

100_1982-1.jpg

100_1983-1.jpg

100_1984-1.jpg

Of all the bikes built, nothing beats a nice looking B6.
Congrats on your new purchase. She's a real beauty!

Hi john,
great acquisition.
I had one just like it as a kid.
Looks like it still has a lot of paint on it.
Go easy on cleaning and detailing it.
When dirt and oxidation are off you will be rewarded.
Best of all enjoy riding it.
Be proud and stand tall.
Wes pinchot
fender doctor

Very nice! Curious on the date. Would you post or pm the serial number? I'd like to see where it is in relation to the one I've got in the shed (frame/fork) that is just like it colorwise. The only difference I can readily see is the kickstand.

I love the colors! I would love to redo mine the same as it is just because of that.

REC

Very nice! Curious on the date. Would you post or pm the serial number? I'd like to see where it is in relation to the one I've got in the shed (frame/fork) that is just like it colorwise. The only difference I can readily see is the kickstand.

I love the colors! I would love to redo mine the same as it is just because of that.

REC

Hello,
Thanks.

SN = I71927

I read somewhere that odd SN bikes appeared in 1946. This one has solid truss rods(prewar?) and tapped tank supports(no clips, prewar style). Therefore I assume it's a 1946.

I don't think it has a tapered stand although the bike doesn't stand as upright as most other Schwinns I own. Maybe it had a tapered stand at one time but kept falling over so the original owner had it swapped out.

As you can see it has the center drops with New Departure Hubs which should indicate pre 1948.

Another anomaly is it has a skip link chain instead of the 1/2" pitch chain seen on most Autocycle/B607 bikes. Since it's a Pullman badge bike, maybe this was their specification?

It all looks original to me but who knows after 63 years.

I'm leaving it as found and plan to detail it this winter for next spring.

1947 Schwinn B6

Well, John.
Your B6 find has inspired me to drag out my old B6 that has been hiding in the back of my garage.
I almost wheeled it right back in after it caught the light of day. The once glorious maroon and ivory paint has turned to a dingy ruddy brown and a yellowed cream color. But, after seeing yours, I was determined to get mine back on the road. It doesn't appear to have ever been taken apart and since the bearing grease was as hard as sandstone, I don't think that this bike has seen the road for a very long time.
After I scraped away the layer of hard grease that was obscuring the serial number, I was puzzled by its sequence. I always figured that the bike was either a 46 or a 47 because it had the Lobdell drop center rims. the serial# is
( C37 94 ) It is stamped exactly like that with the space between the 37 and the 94. If anyone can shed any light on that, I would love to know. For now, I'm calling it a 47, since it doesn't have the tapered kickstand. If I had the ability, I would post a picture of it, but unfortunately, I don't have that ability. For that I apologize.
After a week of struggle with the frozen fasteners and a lot of hands in the gasoline and fingers rubbed raw from chrome polish and steel wool, I got the bike back to as near new as it can be. I left the seriously oxidized paint alone except for some cleaning to get the caked on grease off. And I re laced the wheels so that I could really get to all of their parts for a complete overhaul. The rims were the worst of the chrome work, So I did replace those with an exact match in original chrome. They came out beautiful. I don't think that this bike ever got much use, because the bearing assemblies were in near mint condition. If the paint work wasn't so deteriorated, this bike would be really clean. Oh! well, It will ride like a dream, even if it looks like a nightmare.
Good luck with your B6 project. I will be thinking of you while I am riding mine.
Marty

Finally finished

Finally got around to cleaning the B6.
Added a New Departure 2 speed set-up and a vintage Phantom Seat. Need to find the correct Mesinger but for now this will do.

Had a key made for the lock.

Rides like a dream. Cleaned up pretty nicely too.

B6_1-1.jpg

B6_2-1.jpg

B6_3-1.jpg

B6_4-1.jpg

B6_5-1.jpg

B6_6-1.jpg

Blue Heaven

Nice work John.
The B6 is looking real good. I really like the look of the Phantom seat on there.
I'm sure that it is way more plush than the Messinger.
I'd call that a period upgrade and go with it, but that's just me.
It looks like it cleaned up nicely. Just in time for a spring time ride in the country.

Back