When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1947 Columbia bolt for fender in fork removal?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Philliesfan30m

Look Ma, No Hands!
Is there any way to remove this bolt for the front fender? I don't want to install a front fender but I don't want it rattling around so I want to remove it if possible. Thanks for any help in advance.

IMG_20200203_114355761.jpg

I don't know how it can go right through. It looks like it is welded in with a plate on both sides and the top of the bolt is in between. The top is threaded for the bolt that holds the handle bars on so i don't think that it can come out that way. It has a bushing that is pressed in and they notched the bottom so it can't come out. So I'm guessing it has to be knocked out with a punch or something because I don't see how I can even get a Dremel bit that deep unless I made a long shaft attached to a tiny hole saw bit but it wouldn't allow it past the bolt because it hits the top where the threads are for the handle bars. May a punch and work my way around the bolt until it breaks loose. I just thought there was a simple way to do it and I was just missing something! The one picture shows the threaded hole for the handle bars and the other 2 are of the bottom. Hopefully I can bust it and the whole thing will come out. Or I can just put a big washer and but on it and tighten it down so it doesn't rattle but it will probably look like crap but if I decide to put fenders on I still have the opportunity. thanks for the replies unless someone else has any other ideas!1135542

Is there a stem wedge stuck in there?

Here's a quick drawing of a typical pre-war Columbia Westfield fender attachment.

Ist deal with getting the stem wedge out if stuck. Normally there is a washer that fits inside the tube below the stem on a shoulder. A slotted square headed long bolt drops through this out through the bottom of the fork crown and through the fender hole. Another nut and washer then secure the fender.

Btw I have these, second bolt to right of seatpost in the bottom picture.

Nate

20200205_220730.jpg

20200205_220719.jpg

20200129_174410.jpg

Yeah that's what it looks like! So the stem wedge is the angled part in the top of the fork tube that mates up with the bottom of the handle bar shaft? I don't know the technical terms of the parts. So you are saying that the stem wedge is supposed to come out so the bolt for the fender can come out of the top of the fork tube? How is the best way to get it out of that is what you are saying? Spray it with penetrating fluid and attach the bolt for the handle bars and pull it out or will it ruin the threads? So that stem wedge was supposed to come out with the handle bars?

Yes you are getting on the right track. Maybe search some stem removal type threads. Generally what you need to do is put some penetrating oil in the top and the bottom of the fork. The forks should be removed from the frame and held in a vise or clamps carefully. Apply moderate heat (not much is needed!) To the outside of the steering tube just at the area where the wedge is stuck. There are several techniques for getting the stem out. Normally you back out the stem bolt a bit and tap it down with a hammer thus releasing the wedge. But in this case your wedge is in there with corrosion. This doesn't mean you still couldn't knock it downwards to loosen but don't put too much of a hammer on it you can destroy the threads. Also I like to install the stem top without the handlebars run the bolt to almost tight then knock the side of the opening for the handlebars on each side with a soft heavy mallet or wood block back and forth. This will put a sideways hit on that wedge. Keep alternating with tapping the stem bolt down then tightening it up a bit and tapping the stem from side to side and it should loosen up.

Sounds like great advice I will let you know how I make out with it when I get a chance to work on it. I appreciate your help and knowledge! I'm going to let it soak in the penetrating oil for a day or so then use a heat gun on low setting and tap on the bolt to see if it breaks loose. I'm also going to try and get a wire brush in there to clean it up before I do anything and blow it out with compressed air. I didn't know that the stem wedge was supposed to come out until you said something. I thought it was welded in the tube. Lol probably because it's so rusted in place.

You may be able to remove the wedge using the stem bolt or screw, and offset spool piece or fender washers; with the idea being that tightening the bolt will apply a lifting force on the wedge.
Also, look out for any broken piece of a stem, which may also cause the wedge to be stuck.

Last edited:
Back