When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1947 Schwinn B6 Rustoration questions??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
OKAY Howie!
SINCE THIS IS AN EARLY POSTWAR BIKE, SCHWINN USED SOME PREWAR CYLINDERS MADE BY AUTOMATIC LOCK.
THEY WERE MOSTLY USED BY SCHWINN MADE RANGERS, BUT SOME SHOWED UP ON SCHWINNS BEFORE AND AFTER THE WAR.
THE AUTOMATIC LOCK CODES ALL BEGIN WITH "2 S" AND THAT IS WHAT IT IS. UNFORTUNATELY I DON'T KNOW WHO HAS ANY INFO ON THE CODES FOR IT.
I THINK BICYCLE BONES (DAN VENTURI) MAY HAVE A KEY FOR THAT CYLINDER NUMBER 2S 46. CONTACT HIM AT [email protected]
MENTION MY NAME AND HE CAN LET YOU KNOW.
IN ANY EVENT, I HAVE ORIGINAL SCHWINN "AN" CYLINDERS THAT I CAN INSTALL FOR YOU.
WES PINCHOT AKA FENDER DOCTOR
[email protected]
PS I AM PRETTY SURE THAT IS THE CORRECT POST WAR FENDER ON THIS BIKE.

I don't know what to say on the front fork/fender/light. The patina seems to be the same over the whole bike. If something was changed up, it had to be done very early in life. Also the fender does have the long indent on the sides, with two smaller indents for the fork & the truss rod or springer. They look to be factory made, not hand bent. The fork fits well, however the truss rods sit way back in the smaller notch in front. The pin stripes appear original as well.

If anybody wants better pics let me know, I can get them tomorrow. (my shop space is also my garage parking space)

I don't know what to say on the front fork/fender/light. The patina seems to be the same over the whole bike. If something was changed up, it had to be done very early in life. Also the fender does have the long indent on the sides, with two smaller indents for the fork & the truss rod or springer. They look to be factory made, not hand bent. The fork fits well, however the truss rods sit way back in the smaller notch in front. The pin stripes appear original as well.

If anybody wants better pics let me know, I can get them tomorrow. (my shop space is also my garage parking space)

Sure sounds like the fender is post war and someone pulled it in between the two indents. Prewar was just one long indent right.

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 140
  • dfg.jpg
    dfg.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

Can you take a side shot of the indent

OKAY Howie!
SINCE THIS IS AN EARLY POSTWAR BIKE, SCHWINN USED SOME PREWAR CYLINDERS MADE BY AUTOMATIC LOCK.
THEY WERE MOSTLY USED BY SCHWINN MADE RANGERS, BUT SOME SHOWED UP ON SCHWINNS BEFORE AND AFTER THE WAR.
THE AUTOMATIC LOCK CODES ALL BEGIN WITH "2 S" AND THAT IS WHAT IT IS. UNFORTUNATELY I DON'T KNOW WHO HAS ANY INFO ON THE CODES FOR IT.
I THINK BICYCLE BONES (DAN VENTURI) MAY HAVE A KEY FOR THAT CYLINDER NUMBER 2S 46. CONTACT HIM AT [email protected]
MENTION MY NAME AND HE CAN LET YOU KNOW.
IN ANY EVENT, I HAVE ORIGINAL SCHWINN "AN" CYLINDERS THAT I CAN INSTALL FOR YOU.
WES PINCHOT AKA FENDER DOCTOR
[email protected]
PS I AM PRETTY SURE THAT IS THE CORRECT POST WAR FENDER ON THIS BIKE.
I'm not saying its not correct or og ..just trying to figure out why it is one long indent....

I didn't mean to imply it was not original. I think it is original. I am interested to see how Schwinn transitioned their tooling after the war. I think it was possible they were still staming out a few long indent fenders after the war until they retooled for the double indent.

Sure sounds like the fender is post war and someone pulled it in between the two indents. Prewar was just one long indent right.
Except if the pins are original then why does it continue in between the fork and truss. Those style fenders with the built in light don't have the pin continuation postwar in that spot. Someone could have added the pin in that spot at some point I guess... looks kinda bent in..

The fender and fork

The post war truss rod fork requires an additional dent for the fork in the fender for a narrower
width at the fork crown in the opening for the fender . A prewar fender would not have the
additional indent, because the fork blades have the same clearance thru the crown of the fork.

The one writer suggests that the flat spot may be from the fender having been
shoved back and forth at sometime in the process of removal of the fender.
I would concur that as a possibility for what looks like a flat spot.

And the frame is a post war frame.

Last edited:
Back