When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1947 Schwinn New World Lightweights

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

SirMike1983

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I bought a pair of New World Lightweights from this forum. I had decided not to take on any more projects, but couldn't resist trying a couple old Schwinns. It's a his and hers pair, both post war, but only by a couple of years. I've made some progress cleaning them up. I've done both sets of bars and stems. I have done one set of hand brake levers. I have done the chainring on the men's frame, as well as the brake calipers on the men's.

Bike Shed Blog will have progress updates on it more regularly. I also did a brief tutorial entry on re-building early Schwinn-built calipers (not the later W. German type "Approved").

nw6.jpg

NW.jpg

NW2.jpg

NW5.jpg

newworld+%u0025252811%2529.jpg

newworld+%u0025252813%2529.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

nw6.jpg

NW.jpg

NW2.jpg

NW5.jpg

newworld+%u0025252811%2529.jpg

newworld+%u0025252813%2529.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

Are you going to polish up that rim?

A secret I discovered for removing old caked on grease from around spokes and other hard to reach places on a hub is to first dissemble everything. Then I bathe everything is gasoline using an old paintbrush. Gasoline dissolves that dried tar substance pretty quickly. Then I follow up with a light pressure washing and finally go over everything by hand with extra fine steel wool and WD40. It makes the rim look like new -- totally safe for all your plated surfaces! I've used this method to remove some pretty substantial and difficult dried grease.

I'm not sure about painted surfaces, but I'd imagine gasoline might do more harm than good. :)

Back