When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1947 Schwinn New World Lightweights

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Unfortunately that brown stuff is surface rust around the spokes. I may hit it again with some small tools to remove the rust later. The grease is pretty much gone at this point- I used Bug and Tar remover for that part. I'm going to reassmble the bike and make sure everything is working and ready to go before I hit those spoke areas again I think though.

Yeah, I shined the rims up a little bit, but I didn't want to get too aggressive. They're pretty worn. They do have a little shine now though. :cool:

My tubes came from Harris Cyclery and I finally got the tape, tubes and tires onto the wheels. I actually got a chance to reassemble the front tonight. The back still needs some tweaking and the fender before it can be declared re-assembled. I have my cables now too, and will install them at the end.

Pictures at

http://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/

The brakes are on and set up. With a period correct, but still temporary saddle and pedals in place, the bike is ready for a test ride. I plan on addressing the saddle and pedals in the not too distant future.

http://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/2013/01/schwinn-new-world-brakes-etc.html

IMG_2954JPG-2.jpg

Looking good! I'd love to see it in daylight! I love bikes that are all cleaned up but still preserve that vintage look. :cool:

Wow that's looking really amazing! Love it!! :cool:

By saving the patina, it gives the impression you just pulled it out of the barn and started riding it. Then, as you get in closer, you see its been all meticulously cleaned up and serviced. Any other plans for it or is it on to the next project?

Wow that's looking really amazing! Love it!! :cool:

By saving the patina, it gives the impression you just pulled it out of the barn and started riding it. Then, as you get in closer, you see its been all meticulously cleaned up and serviced. Any other plans for it or is it on to the next project?

The saddle and pedals need addressing next. I have a box of pedal components and will build a set of #10 Torringtons from parts I have around. The saddle is period right now, but I'm thinking of either trying to get an original Mesinger tourist type (would be spot-on correct according to the catalogs) or perhaps building another '40s springer into a re-upholstered and recovered saddle for the bike. Once those are addressed and it passes a series of final test rides, it will be truly done. After that, I may take some time off and just ride until I get hungry to restart the Raleigh rod-drum Dawn Tourist (a true oddity).

http://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/2012/10/current-project.html

IMG_2883JPG-1.jpg

any interest in a 46 ladies New World frame? have the fork, and front fender, nice stuff repainted, dirt cheap

The Raleigh looks like a complicated project - presumably you'll be rebuilding the 3 spd hub, etc? There is still a lot of Winter, so maybe you'll get to the Raleigh sooner than later.

Do you think you'll add a light to the New World?

The Raleigh looks like a complicated project - presumably you'll be rebuilding the 3 spd hub, etc? There is still a lot of Winter, so maybe you'll get to the Raleigh sooner than later.

Do you think you'll add a light to the New World?

Luckily, the 3 speed hub functions as is. The beauty of the AW is that stuff rarely breaks. I've rebuilt the one on my Raleigh Sports. It's not fun, but it's doable with some patience. I am hoping to avoid that with this one. I'm also hoping to avoid having to do any work within the brake drums themselves, since spares for the ABs hubs are getting harder to find.

The project is complicated in the sense that I need to make a custom set up for the front rod. The rod keeps getting hung up on the inside of the fork blade. I think I'll have to taper the rod where it goes down into the fork to avoid contact.

I would like to add a light to the New World, but if I do that I want to get a 1940s or maybe early 50s period generator set. There are tons from the 60s/70s around, but they just don't look right. Perhaps Miller or a similar set.

I rebuilt a set of Torrington #10 pedals tonight for it as well. Hopefully they run smoothly and last long.

Back