When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 Chicago/Schwinn tires

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Are they pretty good at holding air or do you guys run twos in them? Thanks for the information!

Tubular is the type of rim, has nothing to do with the inner tubes. The tubular means the rim was pressed out of tubing making a two layer metal rim unlike the single wall rims.

Tubular is the type of rim, has nothing to do with the inner tubes. The tubular means the rim was pressed out of tubing making a two layer metal rim unlike the single wall rims.

0CD7FE63-8116-4ADB-9B9F-57AD48F6BFF2.jpeg

No tubeless bike tires in those days. You need tubes. 2.35 will fit the rims. I don't know if it will clear the rest of your bike. You'll have to try it.

26 by almost anything will fit that rim as long as it is bigger than 1.75 (1.5 might also work), and a DECIMAL size. No fractions.

Also fat bike tires probably wont work om those rims out of sheer fatness, but even they are the right rim diameter.

559mm is your rim size. Go by 559mm. "26 inch" covers too many different incompatible tires and is too confusing.

I have run tires about that wide on balloon bikes, the trouble is one manufacturer's definition of "2.35" might be different than another's. The rim width also plays into it.

For what it's worth, those look to be Fat Franks, and I have seen gobs of pictures of old Schwinn ballooners on this site with those tires. Probably without fenders or with stock fenders, I don't quite recall. Sometimes aftermarket (Wald) fenders hit when real Schwinn ones wouldn't. Do you have fenders? I also see a sheave on one of your wheels for a Whizzer or something. Will the tire hit the belt? I don't know. You are probably just going to have to try it.

Be sure to true up your rims. Getting oversize tires on a bike is usually possible, but the rims need to be straight.

I have run tires about that wide on balloon bikes, the trouble is one manufacturer's definition of "2.35" might be different than another's. The rim width also plays into it.

For what it's worth, those look to be Fat Franks, and I have seen gobs of pictures of old Schwinn ballooners on this site with those tires. Probably without fenders or with stock fenders, I don't quite recall. Sometimes aftermarket (Wald) fenders hit when real Schwinn ones wouldn't. Do you have fenders? I also see a sheave on one of your wheels for a Whizzer or something. Will the tire hit the belt? I don't know. You are probably just going to have to try it.

Be sure to true up your rims. Getting oversize tires on a bike is usually possible, but the rims need to be straight.
The bike is a 1948 Whizzer so that sheave is for a belt. That’s a great point about the Tire width and the belt. I currently need to buy replacement fenders as the ones on it were beat up, shortened and customized.

Well I think it will work, but don't hate me if it doesn't LOL. You could always resell the tires on here if it doesn't work out and get part of your money back.

I have some Kenda Kiniption 24x2.3 on a beat to hell old 24" Huffy ballooner thats been hanging around since my childhood. The Kiniption is an 80(!) psi tire. The Huffy rims are wider than your S2s and those Kendas just ALMOST make 2.3 inches with 80 pounds in them. At normal balloon bike pressures, 30 pounds or so, they aren't even 2.125" (the original size for the bike).

You just never know until you have them in you hand.

I think it will probably work, or can be made to work just because I have seen a bunch of ballooners on here with Fat Frank tires. When I wanted to buy some, everybody was out of them.

Back