When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 Columbia (Recognize This Rim?)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Avanti

Look Ma, No Hands!
I recently acquired this Columbia skip-tooth, which appears to be a 1948 M69 Standard Motobike based on period literature and the serial number. It's been re-painted (original color was two-tone white and red).

It's missing the original chain guard and mounts were welded on to accommodate a later piece from an AMF. The original Torrington pedals have been swapped out for Schwinn-style waffle pedals and the Torrington 26" x 8" handlebars were replaced with 8" risers (a.k.a. Butterfly bars) - probably sometime in the late-fifties when they were en vogue. The original rims used on Columbia's of this period were drop-center, which it still retains up front. The rear rim, however, appears to be from a Schwinn or Huffman but I'm not positive. It's equipped with a New Departure hub. Anyone have an idea what that rear wheel could be from? Please feel free to share any other details you can spot. Thanks!

side.jpg

3-4View.jpg

RearRim.jpg

FrontRim.jpg

Seat.jpg

Chainring.jpg

NewDeparture.jpg

Serial.jpg

Not a Schwinn rim, w/a green pinstripe. I have a ladies' 3 star deluxe that's a few years newer. It has straight side rims like that. They were cad plated though.

Back