When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 DX Standard recommendation

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Actually, this wide stripe is not cream it's white. Nor is it hand painted too. Unlike pin-stripping on frame and chain guard that appears most like freehand. IDK where it's shown in the Schwinn reporter but is there, a photograph of ladies in process.

They're placed on a round, wheel like, template . With a paint roller set in place, it's spun. but not everything is revealed in photo. Such as, For the curve, at front and rear fenders, into tips; as it reaches the end that dips to the edge of fender, there would have to be a cam to redirect the line. I mean if the wheel-like template was simply riding on a ordinary axel you couldn't master or accomplish that curve. With the perfection they all display, something is needed to redirect the line, otherwise: no extra curve as they narrow into end of fender. . IDK if they are using machines and a guide to do this but a cam could accomplish it. U could balance fender on wheel's axel, fix paint roller or brush somewhere, on fork, perhaps, and just rotate the fender to stripe it. HOWEVER, U would not accomplish that curve with the same repetitive perfection Schwinn did.

Random photo off the web:

View attachment 1132632

That contraption you speak of was just to make the job easier and faster, the stripes were still guided by the ladies hands. That’s why you see so much variation in fender stripes.

At my In-laws house. Here are pics of her DX. It came in for the winter.
But these are the more shallow fenders.

D1594E63-BBAC-476A-AD8C-18DFC96204B5.jpeg

01B7F3C0-3479-4C24-B7EB-BDEACE0B5B98.jpeg

Last edited:
That contraption you speak of was just to make the job easier and faster, the stripes were still guided by the ladies hands. That’s why you see so much variation in fender stripes.

Variation. IDK maybe it's my eyes but, no see such and even in later 50's with candy paints, 'Radiant' colors and thinner stripe, The redirected curve appears flawlessly identical.

As the final color on fender tips, white, cream, black or special is sprayed last, over the pin striping. A Template to mask The fender tip has to have those stripes on the money, nail the end of the stripe, ya ain't gonna do that free handing. And, we anin't talking Egyptian ages here, Pre inventive cam rollers, [grin].

fenders-2-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
What year did the fender paint design change? Longer
Deeper tip stripe and the curved side stripes that angle to the
Edges as they get closer to the tips.. must be around 1950?

Variation. IDK maybe it's my eyes but, no see such and even in later 50's with candy paints, 'Radiant' colors and thinner stripe, The redirected curve appears flawlessly identical.

View attachment 1132723
Look closely at both pictures you posted. The rear fenders especially show the variation in stripes where they meet the fender tips. The maroon fenders stripes take a steep dive at the tip, where the red fenders stripes are more gradual.

I used the reverse masking stencils available on eBay for these fenders. It’s not hard to get the curve right with a little practice.
130FCB89-9D72-4197-90EC-39D9CF2D7FE6.jpeg

Back