When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 Henderson restore -in process-

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

basementchoppers

Look Ma, No Hands!
So there I was, an unsuspecting mountain bike guy that hadn't ridden any bike in many inches on the waistline, when I found an old pre-war girls bike that had a vintage kids seat for my son. Just fell in love with the feel and look of the old iron, and have amassed enough bicycles and parts to make the wife wonder if I won the lottery. Today I am restoring a 1948 Henderson straight-bar, and thought I would share.....
This is what she looked like when I found her.
IMG_3106-1.jpg

I got NOS wald fenders and very high priced, very rare paint to match
fender-1.jpg

Had to fix a locking hub I picked up, twice...
IMG_3278-1.jpg

still working on lacing the S2 wheels, about 4 times now...
IMG_3285-1.jpg

And have to sand blast the frame and chain guard again cause red bleeds through white, who would have thought?
IMG_3289-1.jpg

IMG_3290-1.jpg

I did however finish the springer tonight! :p
IMG_3331-1.jpg

your steer tube or locking yoke is in backwards. key towards the outside. just so you know. you can just turn it around. good luck on your resto.

well from tip to tip of the out side end of the bars. or if the grip are on just from center to center, also what is the length of the red grips?
Those bars just look really long back. Just would like to know for my project.

30-1/4" center to center and 4-1/4" length of grips. I can go to the bike shop I bought them and get you the grips, and maybe the bars if he has any more.....

Thanks for the offer to do that! But I'll wait, there is the cycle swap coming in a couple weeks in LA, I just happen to like the looks of yours. If all else fail I PM you.
keep on building!
Abe

OK Back to it.... Painted the chain guard and picked up a really nice tank from a CABE member.
IMG_3559-1.jpg

Painted the frame (again)
IMG_3565-1.jpg

Painted my Delta
IMG_3566-1.jpg

And it's starting to look the part.....
IMG_3654-1.jpg

Back