When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 JC Higgins

-

cds2323

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Found this 1948 JC Higgins back in May. Took the bike apart about two weeks ago. Decided to give it an OA bath and remove some of the crust. The bike will still have plenty of patina even after I clean it up.
image (27).jpeg
image (28).jpeg
image (30).jpeg
image (29).jpeg

I just picked up a JC Higgins at the 1st annual "Oldfarts Swap Meet" and I'm not going to use the crank or the skip tooth sprocket PM if you are interested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just picked up a JC Higgins at the 1st annual "Oldfarts Swap Meet" and I'm not going to use the crank or the skip tooth sprocket PM if you are interested?

Thanks, I saw your crank in the other thread today. Looks to be in great shape. I already have a replacement tho. It's off a 49 Higgins.
IMG_20170731_202158.jpg

That's great news you looking for a different fork or going to give a go at straightening the OG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fork has been straightened too. Has been in the OA bath also. I still have to use some WD-40 and steel wool on it. And then some compound to bring back the paint a little. I'm up in the air as to whether I'll respray the white stars and accent. I don't usually like to do any paint touch ups. The white didn't hold up to the cleaning but there wasn't much left anyway and the rust removal out weighed saving what little paint remained.
IMG_20170731_201945.jpg

Most people use a Lil Brute fork jack to straighten forks. I used what I guess some might call a Big Brute. It's a 4 foot tall 4660 lb Farm jack with a couple of steel plates bolted on. Makes quick work of it. Usually takes longer to set up than the actual straightening does.
IMG_20170731_202125.jpg

Back