When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 JC Higgins

-
A little more progress. The seat has been recovered. The horn and headlight are now working. I still have the chain soaking. The rear brake light assembly also needs some work. The switch is stuck and I need to find the clip for the hub that actuates the lights when braked. I'll probably have to fabricate one.
IMG_20170820_120138.jpg
IMG_20170820_115907.jpg
IMG_20170820_120208.jpg

Good save , I actually have the same bike in parts , yours gives me inspiration to do mine ..

Thank you

Fork has been straightened too. Has been in the OA bath also. I still have to use some WD-40 and steel wool on it. And then some compound to bring back the paint a little. I'm up in the air as to whether I'll respray the white stars and accent. I don't usually like to do any paint touch ups. The white didn't hold up to the cleaning but there wasn't much left anyway and the rust removal out weighed saving what little paint remained.View attachment 653402

Most people use a Lil Brute fork jack to straighten forks. I used what I guess some might call a Big Brute. It's a 4 foot tall 4660 lb Farm jack with a couple of steel plates bolted on. Makes quick work of it. Usually takes longer to set up than the actual straightening does.View attachment 653405

I kind of get the concept ,but can you place a fork on the jack to show how it works ?

Thank you again
Rafael

Finally added the chain and took it riding last week. Also added a Higgins speedometer that was shown in the 48 Sears catalog. Will have to rebuild/lubricate it before I hook the cable to it and damage it. The cable does spin and the needle moves but it seems sticky and tight.

IMG_20170924_194847.jpg

Finally added the chain and took it riding last week. Also added a Higgins speedometer that was shown in the 48 Sears catalog. Will have to rebuild/lubricate it before I hook the cable to it and damage it. The cable does spin and the needle moves but it seems sticky and tight.

View attachment 682967
Soo Bad ass bro..love it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back