When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 or 1950 Continental with Cycle Lock!

-

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I just picked this one up today, after initially turning it down when I first saw it (what a dummy!). Light bulb in my head went on after I got home and called the person back. Whew!

From all the info I can gather, spending a lot of time looking at Catalogs and photos, I believe it's a '48 or '50. Though it's obviously been repainted way back, it's the parts that made me buy it. The bike says '48, but the fenders say '50.

angle.png

badge.png

collar.png

crankset.png

cycle lock.png

front brake.png

front fender.png

front hub.png

grip.png

handlebars.png

A few of the individual original pieces are just amazing on this: a locking fork with the key...double adjustable alloy stem...Torrington No. 7 pedals...and a Brooks non-original saddle which will wind up on a Raleigh. Nice chunky grips and the all chrome chain guard beneath all that paint (they even painted over the oil filler cap).

The hubs are the oiler type and are alloy, and I'm not sure if the rims are stainless steel (like my'46) or just chrome. Pretty sure the fenders are chrome.

LOTS of work to do on this...along with a 1958 Schwinn Hornet I bought along with this bike. I'll show that in the general Schwinn section tomorrow.

I'm going to be a busy boy!!!

Because it's an obvious repaint, at some point I'll redo it. I'm just curious to see if the original paint is beneath is still there along with some decals, or if it was stripped down to bare metal. Time will tell...:p

IDK fo
Because it's an obvious repaint, at some point I'll redo it. I'm just curious to see if the original paint is beneath is still there along with some decals, or if it was stripped down to bare metal. Time will tell...:p
IDK for sure Harpo, but what I do know is; these earlier bikes were painted with a metallic paint, just like yours. And from your photos it's either original or there's no paint under it. I think, unfortunately; for a lack of interest during that big collector's run for heavyweights in the past 30 year, not many have figured out what the metallic colors were or are in earlier lightweights . Regardless, you can see it in this photo; that paint is tight, aged as you should expect too, and it's just like the earlier metallic paint. There's no previous color left or it hasn't been repainted.

img_4747-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Back