1948 Schwinn All-American

This ad disappears when logged in

prewarmachine

Finally riding a big boys bike
Apr 15, 2017
West Linn
Just picked this up yesterday. It's stamped with an H serial number under the crank that had it built 11/11/1948. Can't seem to find any info on this "All-American". Is it a type of New World or totally it's own thing? Any info on this bike would be greatly appreciated!!

20190521_194630 (1).jpg

20190521_194639.jpg

Oilit

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Dec 30, 2015
Concord NC
I wonder if it's some kind of custom bike? But that badge looks factory, pretty sharp if it's custom.

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
I'm confused, where are you getting that 48 date for an H serial number?

11/11/48 -------- E159713 -------- E163763

prewarmachine

Apr 15, 2017
West Linn
It does look pieced together. Modern wheels and hubs and basically everything else newer really. Maybe a 70's Schwinn fork??
Sorry! I was looking at a different serial number I wrote down! This one has E163277 under the crank housing.

prewarmachine

Apr 15, 2017
West Linn
I can't find anything on the "All-American" in the 1948 or 1950 catalog. Was this maybe a different model of continental or new world perhaps?

Eric Amlie

May 9, 2010
Madison, United States
No help from me.
I've seen the badges before, but know nothing about them.

GTs58

Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
Here's a 1940 DX wearing a hat in ring All American badge.

1558666211975.png

1558666258224.png

I read the dope on these badges about 9-10 years ago but I can't remember the details. The hat in ring symbol was used on many things during the two world wars and Schwinn used that hat in ring seat post decal well into the 60's.

prewarmachine

Apr 15, 2017
West Linn
Thanks for posting that DX!
I'm guessing it was just a different version of a bike they offered being that it's found on both a DX and a road bike frame. My 53' World road bike frame looks identical to this All-American.

GTs58

Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
Thanks for posting that DX!
I'm guessing it was just a different version of a bike they offered being that it's found on both a DX and a road bike frame. My 53' World road bike frame looks identical to this All-American.
I'm pretty sure that badge has nothing to do with the model of the bikes they were installed on. Throwing your hat in the ring meant your ready for the challenge and this was used in very early boxing. Schwinn was throwing their hat in the ring as a contender when the Paramount became the only American bike that was used in 6 day races and placing or winning races. Thus the All American hat in ring badge. I believe the Paramount spawned Schwinn's use of this symbol and it was the first to use the Hat in Ring decal on the seat tube in 1939 and then in 1940 it was used on their other lightweights. So that badge was Schwinn's way of saying they were in the game as the American contender for quality bicycles. It has nothing to do with the wars or the 94th Fighter Squadron.

This is the only catalog image for 1939 that somewhat shows the Hat in Ring on the seat tube decal and the text tells a story.

1558672478207.png

bobcycles

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Sep 30, 2006
so cal beaches
I have not seen many Schwinn bikes with the ALL American head badge... .. most were prewar
...There is a legendary all Black BA 607 residing in Chicago with gold box pin striping and the
same badge... Thought maybe it was reserved for special order bikes ....
that sort of basic DX refutes that theory....

cyclingday

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Feb 24, 2008
Costa Mesa, California. United States
I doubt they would’ve ever used that badge on any of the early first generation Schwinn Lightweights, because most of the critical components were either sourced, and if not actually made there, inspired by British made gear.
Cranks, Hubs, Spindle, rims, brakes, saddles, etc, were all of English design, and I suspect, imported from England.
The frames were made here, but that was about it.
The Hat in the Ring symbol holds true to Schwinn entry into the professional racing scene and the adult sports touring market, but I’m just not so sure, about the All American claim on that badge for the prewar Paramount and Superior line of bicycles.

GTs58

Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
I doubt they would’ve ever used that badge on any of the early first generation Schwinn Lightweights, because most of the critical components were either sourced, and if not actually made there, inspired by British made gear.
Cranks, Hubs, Spindle, rims, brakes, saddles, etc, were all of English design, and I suspect, imported from England.
The frames were made here, but that was about it.

I would say yes to the Foreign design of a few parts but totally disagree with you 100%. Schwinn made most all of the parts on the Paramount including the crank set, rims, hubs, seat post and stem. The only thing I can say that was imported is the Brooks B-17 Standard but there were other saddle options like the Persons and Mesinger racing saddles. As scarce as those badges are I would think they were short lived and only used on select pieces that were in fact all American.

Oilit

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Dec 30, 2015
Concord NC
I'm guessing that Schwinn's "Hat in the Ring" decal honored Eddie Rickenbacker, the top U.S. ace in WW1, flying with and eventually commanding the 94th Aero Squadron, known as the "Hat in the Ring" squadron. WWII overshadows WWI in most people's memory, but Rickenbacker was well known even before the war as a race car driver (He competed in the Indianapolis 500 four times) and went on to found Eastern Airlines, among other feats.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Rickenbacker
I just thought that it ought to be mentioned, and since nobody else had...

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture