When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 Schwinn All-American

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks for posting that DX!
I'm guessing it was just a different version of a bike they offered being that it's found on both a DX and a road bike frame. My 53' World road bike frame looks identical to this All-American.

Thanks for posting that DX!
I'm guessing it was just a different version of a bike they offered being that it's found on both a DX and a road bike frame. My 53' World road bike frame looks identical to this All-American.

I'm pretty sure that badge has nothing to do with the model of the bikes they were installed on. Throwing your hat in the ring meant your ready for the challenge and this was used in very early boxing. Schwinn was throwing their hat in the ring as a contender when the Paramount became the only American bike that was used in 6 day races and placing or winning races. Thus the All American hat in ring badge. I believe the Paramount spawned Schwinn's use of this symbol and it was the first to use the Hat in Ring decal on the seat tube in 1939 and then in 1940 it was used on their other lightweights. So that badge was Schwinn's way of saying they were in the game as the American contender for quality bicycles. It has nothing to do with the wars or the 94th Fighter Squadron.

This is the only catalog image for 1939 that somewhat shows the Hat in Ring on the seat tube decal and the text tells a story.

1558672478207.png

I have not seen many Schwinn bikes with the ALL American head badge... .. most were prewar
...There is a legendary all Black BA 607 residing in Chicago with gold box pin striping and the
same badge... Thought maybe it was reserved for special order bikes ....
that sort of basic DX refutes that theory....

I doubt they would’ve ever used that badge on any of the early first generation Schwinn Lightweights, because most of the critical components were either sourced, and if not actually made there, inspired by British made gear.
Cranks, Hubs, Spindle, rims, brakes, saddles, etc, were all of English design, and I suspect, imported from England.
The frames were made here, but that was about it.
The Hat in the Ring symbol holds true to Schwinn entry into the professional racing scene and the adult sports touring market, but I’m just not so sure, about the All American claim on that badge for the prewar Paramount and Superior line of bicycles.

I doubt they would’ve ever used that badge on any of the early first generation Schwinn Lightweights, because most of the critical components were either sourced, and if not actually made there, inspired by British made gear.
Cranks, Hubs, Spindle, rims, brakes, saddles, etc, were all of English design, and I suspect, imported from England.
The frames were made here, but that was about it.

I would say yes to the Foreign design of a few parts but totally disagree with you 100%. Schwinn made most all of the parts on the Paramount including the crank set, rims, hubs, seat post and stem. The only thing I can say that was imported is the Brooks B-17 Standard but there were other saddle options like the Persons and Mesinger racing saddles. As scarce as those badges are I would think they were short lived and only used on select pieces that were in fact all American.

I'm guessing that Schwinn's "Hat in the Ring" decal honored Eddie Rickenbacker, the top U.S. ace in WW1, flying with and eventually commanding the 94th Aero Squadron, known as the "Hat in the Ring" squadron. WWII overshadows WWI in most people's memory, but Rickenbacker was well known even before the war as a race car driver (He competed in the Indianapolis 500 four times) and went on to found Eastern Airlines, among other feats.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Rickenbacker
I just thought that it ought to be mentioned, and since nobody else had...

Back