When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 Schwinn D37XE...I think...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I picked this one up this morning out on Long Island. Here I am trying to sell a few bikes to make room, and this turns up. Aye Carumba!!! But love the story that went with it.

The niece of the original owner (gentleman who is 98 years old!) was selling it for him. She told me that he had purchased the bike brand new in 1948 for his wife, and had kept it all these years. She had passed away, but he refused to sell it...until now. Unfortunately,though, the last year was spent in the niece's shed. Not in the house where it had been kept since new, so the rust got a bit worse she told me.
With the exception of the grips and tires, the bike is all original. Even the lens cap is still there, but I haven't looked inside the light yet! I was afraid to take off the seat cover, fearing the leather was toast. But I was amazed at the condition of it.

This will quite a bit of work, but I'm up to the challenge. The serial number under the bottom bracket is E202801, indeed making it a 1948 year. But according to the 1948 Schwinn Catalog, it should have a Skip tooth crank and it doesn't show rear carrier on the photo. It does state, though, that the chrome rims were an extra charge.
So, if anyone out there knows differently, please let me know.

And as I always tell you guys my purchase prices...$60...not bad for a 76 mile round-trip drive early this morning. Check out the photos as I unloaded it from my SUV.

IMG_5119.jpg

IMG_5120.jpg

IMG_5121.jpg

IMG_5122.jpg

IMG_5123.jpg

IMG_5124.jpg

IMG_5125.jpg

IMG_5126.jpg

IMG_5127.jpg

IMG_5128.jpg

IMG_5129.jpg

Nice rescue! That will clean up beautifully with some patina for that lived in look. I have the same period ladies frame in the darker blue but it showed up as just a frame and handlebars with multiple coats of paint.

I also read in the catalog that the Truss Rods on mine were also an option. This guy treated his wife nicely!

Last edited:
I removed the basket and got to the light. Yikes! Completely rotted.

Ironically, though, I have the same light off of a 1949 Schwinn that I'll put on if everything else cleans up. Even a clean set of truss rods from the 1949 bike.

IMG_5153.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't this the "one year only" stem?

Also, some of the chrome is starting to look great, like on the front hub. The rims, not to bad. But ironically, the flat surface is in better shape than the side walls. I figured the flatter the area the longer moisture would have had to eat into the metal. Go figure...

IMG_5160.jpg

IMG_5161.jpg

IMG_5163.jpg

IMG_5164.jpg

IMG_5165.jpg

Not sure about the stem ? , but here's one I had years ago I bought along with a Phantom, a Wasp, a Western flyer, and a few others and parts , sold it on Craigslist, I believe it's one of 6 I had featured in The Evolution of Bicycles vol.2

1205121643-1.jpg

Back