When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 Schwinn Project Journal

-
Removed & inspected the headlight housing. Got a look inside & found some battery acid damage. Think I still need to neutralize with baking soda after all these years? Also, good photos of the fender & tray - trays nice and straight. Looks like I'll need to drill those rivets for the struts to roll out that gonzo nose. Thanks to SJ_BIKER & bobcycles for the support today

fender1.jpg

fender2_markup-01.jpg

fender3.jpg

fender4.jpg

housingbottom_markup-01.jpg

housingrear.jpg

housingtop.jpg

Nice pics of the damage....once the front brace is off that fender will respond nicely to fender rolling

Removed the tanks and found no sign of the old horn assembly. DID find a cute little mouse living room. Also ancient dirt dauber nests. Can someone please post a closeup photo of the kind of screws this tank is supposed to be attached with? It had mismatched wood screws holding it on, which is neat in a way, but I'd like to know what should really be there.

tankstogether.jpg

tankinsides.jpg

mousenest.jpg

tankremoved.jpg

tank.jpg

Ahhh - oval head machine screws. Thanks for the tip! Looks like one of these might be an original.

More careful disassembly. Removed the crankset. Judging from the amount of live wet grease inside, it has been well maintained. A little bit of fudge in there, but safe to say it petrified as it sat - wasn't ridden much. The 9-ball bearings, retainers and races all look good upon initial inspection. The keyed washer is a little hammered - the tang is just barely there. Looking forward to getting all the rust off this. I will leave the races in the frame for now.

crank-nds.jpg

crank-ds.jpg

crankbearings.jpg

bearingrace-nds.jpg

bearingrace-ds.jpg

disassystate.jpg

Back