When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 Schwinn Project Journal

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Crankset all shined up. It's amazing what Evaporust and a little elbow grease can accomplish.

cleanedup-01.jpg

I lost the orange paint in the embossed Bendix logo. The Evaporust dissolved it. I'd like to fill that back in with Enamel. Have you guys attempted that? Gotta go get some Testers and experiment. Let me know if you can suggest a method that works.

Bendixunpainted_edit-01.jpg

Need advice on using Evaporust on painted parts. Reduced soak time? dilution? Any pointers? I am planning to check it every hour to find the point where rust is reduced and paint is still safe. There is a bit of rust under the paint on the back side of the chainguard, so interested to see if paint lifts there. Expect it to. Thanks

chainguard.jpg

I would not use evaporust on your painted parts. there is not enough rust to justify it. I'd take that chain guard out and put the wheels in and see how they clean up.

I would do either an Oxalic Acid dip or 000 steel wool and WD-40 on the painted parts followed by Mirror glaze polish.

I have had it eat the paint off seat parts, but that paint is not the same as the frame. I'd worry about decals and pinstripes.

Your bike has a very unusual and rare but "correct" 1/2 inch pitch 'sweetheart' sprocket...
In many years of collecting, and owning far too many Schwinns to count...only ever had
2 factory original bikes with that sprocket. Makes it even a bit more "special"! 🤩
Yep pretty cool sprocket and very seldom seen. My best friend bought a McDonnell Douglas fleet bike in the early '80's, it was the same bike in the story I told a while back. It had the 1/2" pitch sweetheart sprocket on it and it was the first one I had ever seen and have not seen another in person since. I remember both of us as early and young Schwinn admirers and collectors talking about how strange it was to see.

No pictures (maybe a good thing) but in Westminster, CA there was a BMX track (can't remember the name) my best friend and I would ride to from our neighboring Cypress. One day in about 1980 we were pedaling laps around the track, building confidence on the bikes we brought that day. At the beginning of the track was the standard downhill portion, and when you make a full circuit and come around to the start there was the huge flat-top jump where you can air it out and land on the downhill ski-jump style.

My friend Mike was riding his full-fendered post war Schwinn B6, and he aired it out max speed, springer and all. In mid air his front rim flew off, and I will never forget how his forks touched first and dug in quite splendidly, launching his whole being over the bars. He and bike tumbled a bit and came to a stop, as did everyone else within 50 feet. Helmet? Nope. Pads? No. He was OK except for some nice raspberries, the bike not so much. Forks wasted, bent frame, "W" shaped front fender. I believe he hobbled the bike together and I rode him some of the way back on my handlebars with him holding the bike which only worked for about 100 yards. We walked the rest of the way home a little wiser. Klunkers from now on if on the trail or track, give your bike the once-over with a wrench before flight.

I lost the orange paint in the embossed Bendix logo. The Evaporust dissolved it. I'd like to fill that back in with Enamel. Have you guys attempted that? Gotta go get some Testers and experiment. Let me know if you can suggest a method that works.

View attachment 1635102

The recessed area was actually painted bright red.
What I've done in the past is spray paint the recessed areas of mulitple different items. Mask off the majority of the object and then a couple light coats of spray paint. When the paint is not longer tacky I get a thin rag, like maybe a tee shirt with solvent on it, wrap it on something flat and carefully wipe the paint off around the recessed areas. Slow and easy cleaning and it should look factory. Doing it with a brush is a PITA and usually ends up with brush lines and light spots unless you thin the paint down to where it flows off a heavy loaded brush.

The recessed area was actually painted bright red.
What I've done in the past is spray paint the recessed areas of mulitple different items. Mask off the majority of the object and then a couple light coats of spray paint. When the paint is not longer tacky I get a thin rag, like maybe a tee shirt with solvent on it, wrap it on something flat and carefully wipe the paint off around the recessed areas. Slow and easy cleaning and it should look factory. Doing it with a brush is a PITA and usually ends up with brush lines and light spots unless you thin the paint down to where it flows off a heavy loaded brush.
Yes! I like this. Going to try it - thanks!

Back