When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1949 Birmingham Hercules 3-speeds

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I'm not hugely interested in these bikes mainly because I just don't do a lot of painting and don't do rattle can very good when I do. It doesn't help that I have a dozen complete 3 speed bikes now. I need to get busy and find buyers for a few of these that I have already refurbished. It would also be a plus if the mens were the taller frame size (which it isn't). Why don't you take an occasional look at the Kansas City Craigslist bikes and if you see something that you are interested in give me a shout and I could see if I could pick it up inexpensively for you as a possible trade. If you were up this way and had them with you I would probably only match your initial purchase price and that doesn't do anything for you. I am confident that I could get the pieces back together and depending on how many parts are missing I could get at least one runner. I do enjoy working on them and get a sense of completion from turing a pile of parts into a working bicycle. I just need to get better at selling them afterwards.

I agree with the other poster and in general don't pull the fixed cup. Now that I have the special tool (for Raleigh that is) I on occasion will pull one if I think it is very dirty and needs a good cleaning. Otherwise I can wipe clean through the bottom bracket and can likewise pack the race full of grease and carefully insert the individual balls in through the small hole while positioning them in the race with a finger in from the other side. Although on the Hercules a large adjustable (or the proper sized wrench) can give you a reasonable grip, the face is pretty narrow and these have often never been removed since the factory installed (and some factory painted after that) and it is easy to round off the face.

The more I think about it the more I think I might part them out, just seems like too much work to get these together, and in my limited spare time I'd like to work on the bikes I'm really into. Or if I'm passing through KC anytime soon I might see if I can take you up on your offer and just pass the deal along as I got it.

OK, either sounds fine by me. I PM'd (private messaged) my contact info to you in case you do find yourself coming towards KC and have space in your vehicle. John

Back