When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1949 CWC Roadmaster Tri-plate Fork

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Great bike @ozzie ! Thanks for sharing all the pics and ads. I like the look of the fork without the cover too.

Are you using that fork for your new build?
I would like to try and see how it rides with the OG fork.

I would use a more rigid fork for a bmx cruiser as the stock one flexes a fair bit.

I love the way the post war CWC frames like these ride. Very laid back feel with a longer top tube than many other boys bikes of the same era.

I want to take the bike I'm building off-road sometimes. Just flat desert trail riding, I'm not trying to get airborne 🙂. If the fork flexes, I'm ok with that, but I don't want it to fold. Do I need to buy more insurance?? 😄

OG klunkers didn't have BMX/MTB forks to equip their bikes with. I know they evolved into more rugged BMX and front suspension MTB forks but I'd like to see what the OG fork is like. I imagine the flexing makes it less controllable when it's rough.

Pic of Charlie Kelley From Flatbike.com
1674830170753.png

I held the Roadmaster frame up to my 48 Columbia Cruiser and it is nearly identical in dimensions. I love the laid back feel of these bikes too. Can't wait to get it rolling.

I can understand you wanting to keep the look of the bike with the OG fork. It would probably hold up fine off road providing you aren’t jumping the bike. You could add a set of decent truss rods to add stiffness.

I believe the forged Schwinn OG forks are a little stronger. I have a Corvette one fitted to my 98 LL and really like the way it rides plus it has the boss for a front brake.

C8BFD75A-6B80-4FC4-8D4D-B08509721448.jpeg

Very cool @ozzie! Having an easy front brake mount would be nice. I was thinking about a drum brake with this fork. I've never owned one. The rear I think will be a 3 speed coaster for now. Availability of multi gear hubs (Nexus or Sturmey) seems very limited right now.☹️ Your bike above looks well equipped with a rear inter-geared hub like most of your bikes. 😎

I notice that your 53 Pleasure Liner and my 50 frame (and the catalog pics you posted) have a curved bottom bar. But szathmarig's 54 has a straight looking bottom bar. I wonder if that change was made for 54 and the curved bottom bikes stopped being made?

I'm starting to like the sound of "1949 Roadmaster Pleasure Klunker" for my bike. Someday...

I’m currently swapping a wheel set from one of my other bikes onto the black 98 LL which has a Sturmey archer front drum and Nexus 7 rear. The new SA drum hubs are top quality and brake well. I ride around town frequently where there are lots of people and steep hills so good brakes and lots of gears are essential. My knees aren’t the best either! If you are going to use one of the drum hubs mate it with a nice long brake lever like a 80’s Dia-compe mtb lever.

I get most of my 7 speed hubs from late model lady’s bikes on Facebook marketplace and have even been lucky to buy 2 brand new ones on ebay for way less than you would find at your LBS. A lot of lady’s cruisers get little use and sell for much less than bloke’s models.

With regard to the frame and to the best of my knowledge, most of the ones likes ours with the bent middle bars are frequently referred to as bent tank or 3 gill frames. Most of the frames with the straight middle bar I’ve seen are Luxury Liners but I have also seen some later ones which are Pleasure Liners.

I refer to my black 98 LL as the Speedliner as it is light and fast with its 7 gears. I only got the frame as someone else parted it out and shipping a hefty complete LL to Australia would cost a small fortune.

It is my favored balloon tire ride and the big laid back frame suits my 6’2 frame the best. I’m sure you’ll come to love your Pleasure Klunker too.

Last edited:
I purchased the 8 speed Nexus wheelset on my 48 Columbia from a ladies Electra Townie ebay sale. I have been looking for more wheel sets and Nexus bikes lately, I just have not seen anything yet...

3 speed coaster wheel set it very inexpensive and an easy way to get rolling while I keep looking for the right stuff.

Thanks for the long lever advice and more info on the bent vs straight middle bars. I've def seen the "3-gill" name before around here.

So without the springer it seems like it's a Roadmaster Deluxe and I think they used both triple plate & forged at the same time on different models, maybe it's a supply or price thing. as far as the forged one being stronger I've told the story here about bending a brand new 79 Spitfire fork ( lasted 1 day! ) BUT I was jumping!, I'd feel fine with that fork for some medium riding, It's not like they just break, just keep a eye out for a bend!

Last edited:
So without the springer it seems like it's a Roadmaster Deluxe
Ok I see now. How about "1949 Klunkmaster Deluxe"? 😀

I stripped all the black paint off the fork. It looked like this:
CECD021D-D5A3-4AEA-BF73-69CC85B14077.jpeg

4D8419BF-5631-4C42-8810-161AB0652BA2.jpeg

Pretty crusty, so I sanded it down.

034DF875-C241-4C35-83CB-CF10C9301013.jpeg

Still have some work on the plates.
6B33BAFF-28D6-43F9-A85B-AD0913B05CFC.jpeg

Stripped all the black spray paint off of the frame too. 🤩

8BF5E13F-1B1D-4338-B489-7CA56DBE1E2F.jpeg
The OG paint and pins that remained came out nice and shiny. The top of the seat stays had some serious rust/paint removal in the past. Looks organic and interesting when it’s all shined up if you ask me.

4A12FFD3-B566-44AB-A8A0-F887F20D21DF.jpeg

7E34E22D-BA1D-48F5-8CD8-DEAD2E4B2B00.jpeg

Spent some more time sanding and wire wheeling the fork today.

22FB0698-6015-4889-8EBC-4784C5DB833B.jpeg

51474DC9-B6D2-44AD-A311-28EFDF5EC982.jpeg

83043811-8E96-45F8-A7D1-7AB0F15B152B.jpeg

Finally got to check out the brazing on the bottom crown plate. Nice!
024D81E7-0207-4C57-A796-7DA1E5BD65D5.jpeg

C5679936-382D-4FD1-A838-7329EEBCB3C2.jpeg

21439344-EF16-4AA6-9685-672287FEC4CF.jpeg

It’s still a little ratty but that’s the point. Its going to work perfect for this bike.

Back