When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1949 New World with Schwinn S-8 Rims

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Just found a old racing bike (non schwinn) but it had schwinn s-10’s on it. Never saw one in person. Any idea if I can use any 27” tire on them? Thanks View attachment 1526694
View attachment 1526695
My only other source besides the catalog is Sheldon Brown's webpage, but he says that all 27" tires are the same except "27 five" (for mountain bikes) and 27 x 1-1/2, an old Danish size. Thank goodness somebody's still keeping his old website going!
Just out of curiosity, what kind of hubs came with the rims?

My only other source besides the catalog is Sheldon Brown's webpage, but he says that all 27" tires are the same except "27 five" (for mountain bikes) and 27 x 1-1/2, an old Danish size. Thank goodness somebody's still keeping his old website going!
Just out of curiosity, what kind of hubs came with the rims?
Ok. Thanks. The front hub is a prewar Airlite hub made by the British hub company.

Ok. Thanks. The front hub is a prewar Airlite hub made by the British hub company.
On second thought, I just checked and there are tubular 27 inch tires. I don't think the S-10 would be for tubular tires, but I don't know for sure. What little I've read, the tubular tires are used on high end racing bikes so I'd go by what's on the rims now. If they've got clincher tires, then you should be good.

Last edited:
On second thought, I just checked and there are tubular 27 inch tires. I don't think the S-10 would be for tubular tires, but I don't know for sure. What little I've read, the tubular tires are used on high end racing bikes so I'd go by what's on the rims now. If they've got clincher tires, then you should be good.
The S-8 and S-10 were for clincher/wired tires. There was also a S-12 that was for tubular tires. The S-10 fits standard 27" or 630mm tires, but they do not have a hooked bead, so likely require wire-bead tires (not foldable ones that are more common today).

Back