When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1949 New World with Schwinn S-8 Rims

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The S8 was an extruded duraluminum rim. I believe they were supposed to match up with the high pressure Schwinn "puff" 26 x 1 tires. The corrosion to watch on the durals is the white powdery type, but dural is good material so it's probably fine. I'm unaware of a direct replacement for the 26 x 1 puff tires that replicates them today. It may just end up being a case of swapping in a regular new tire that fits rather than trying to duplicate the puff tires.

So I've only seen this type of thumb shift once or twice in pictures, but some of the parts are similar to the "Schwinn Approved - Made in Austria" shifters Schwinn used in the late '50's, and the seat looks older, so now I'm thinking maybe it's somebody's home built racer from the late '50's, but I closed the deal and loaded it up. It was dark when I got home, so I got out a flashlight and my reading glasses, and looked at the rims. I had never heard of Schwinn S-8 rims, but looking at the 1948 Schwinn Catalog on bikehistory.org, there they are under "The Famous Schwinn-Built Tubular and Racing Rims".
Now I just need to find a New World with the S-14 Schwinn Laminated Wood Racing Rims.\
Shifter found on late 50s racers. Maybe on other models, but the only lightweights I have ever seen them on are racers. Similar in appearance to the Austria ones, as you noted.

The wise lock looks all there, just missing the key. You put the key in that slot and turn it and it locks.

00303_3wGMrsbqcQs_1200x900.jpg
00A0A_hfLXdRSu6cd_1200x900.jpg

Shifter found on late 50s racers. Maybe on other models, but the only lightweights I have ever seen them on are racers. Similar in appearance to the Austria ones, as you noted.

The wise lock looks all there, just missing the key. You put the key in that slot and turn it and it locks.

View attachment 1297892View attachment 1297893
So the top part of the lock turns into the spokes to keep the wheel from turning? I didn't get the key, maybe there's a way to replace the cylinder. Thanks for the insight!

The S8 was an extruded duraluminum rim. I believe they were supposed to match up with the high pressure Schwinn "puff" 26 x 1 tires. The corrosion to watch on the durals is the white powdery type, but dural is good material so it's probably fine. I'm unaware of a direct replacement for the 26 x 1 puff tires that replicates them today. It may just end up being a case of swapping in a regular new tire that fits rather than trying to duplicate the puff tires.
Thanks, SirMike! These rims are narrower than S6 rims, so it makes sense they would take a 1" tire. The Goodyears are marked 26 X 1-1/4, and they look like they got some pretty good use.

Interesting New World Oilit. First time I've actually seen an S-8 rim, nice!

Interesting New World Oilit. First time I've actually seen an S-8 rim, nice!
About the time I read the markings Scarlett Johansson could have come streaking by and I might not have noticed. Or at least I wouldn't have been any more surprised.

About the time I read the markings Scarlett Johansson could have come streaking by and I might not have noticed. Or at least I wouldn't have been any more surprised.

Those rims definitely made your trip and purchase well worth your time. Out of all the New Worlds on Miq's list not one has surprised me more. The Racers have shown up with the wood variety and a few with stainless, but no S-8's. Must have been a rare purchase back in the day.

Maybe it is the angle in the photo. The steel brakes look to be different than other New Worlds. Can you post a photo. Great find. The paint looks like it might clean up well

Maybe it is the angle in the photo. The steel brakes look to be different than other New Worlds. Can you post a photo. Great find. The paint looks like it might clean up well
I'll see if I can get them next weekend. Looking back, I didn't get any good close-ups of the brakes or the front hub.

Last edited:
Back