When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1949 New World with Schwinn S-8 Rims

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Lots of confusion about some of these older tire sizes, with good reason. The S-8 is an alloy non-hook bead rim designed for 597mm BSD (bead seat diameter) tire, otherwise known as the English 26 x 1 1/4" size, or the earlier (like 1940s-50s) Schwinn S-6 steel or stainless steel rim size which was also for 597mm BSD and 26 x 1 3/8" tires....which is different than the more common/recent 26 x 1 3/8" tire designed for 590mm BSD rims. While you can find the 26 x 1 3/8 590mm tires currently, I do not believe anyone makes a 26 x 1 1/4" or 26 x 1 3/8" 597mm BSD tire anymore. To confuse further, wasn't there also an S-6 Schwinn rim that was for 27" tires/630mm BSD?

(I have a set of NOS S-8 rims plus an NOS set of Uniroyal Flyweight 26 x 1 1/4" tires, and I also have Schwinn stainless S-6 rims and a 1949 BSA with EA3/26 x 1 3/8"/590mm BSD rims and tires, and I know from experience that they are not interchangeable)

[I stand corrected on availability of 597mm tires...see below in Bloo's post for a link to Kendas versions....admittedly, I overlooked the Kenda tires, as I am not a fan]

Last edited:
@Oilit says he was able mount one for safety. Doesn't necessarily make for ridable wheel. Sometimes those Kendas are a %^@#$%& to get even on the rim.
Close but not exact size. Not really any other choices

I'm not a big fan of Kenda either, but what exactly is the issue? Are the Kendas undersize on on every 597mm rim (S-5 etc.)? Or could these S-8 rims be for the old prewar 599mm/26x1.375 size?

I'm not a big fan of Kenda either, but what exactly is the issue? Are the Kendas undersize on on every 597mm rim (S-5 etc.)? Or could these S-8 rims be for the old prewar 599mm/26x1.375 size?
Slightly undersize in my experience. Can be difficult to center on the rim with out creating a low spot while spinning. Makes for a very noticeable "hop" when riding. Sometimes they go right on. Sometimes have to fight it to get even. Might be manufacturing differences.

Slightly undersize in my experience. Can be difficult to center on the rim with out creating a low spot while spinning. Makes for a very noticeable "hop" when riding. Sometimes they go right on. Sometimes have to fight it to get even. Might be manufacturing differences.
That matches my experience as well. About 2/3 of the time, no problem. about 1 out of 6, small problems and occasionally you really have to fight it.

Got any pictures?
I do cant find them at the moment they have been on here a few times. The bike is all the way back in the attic right now for the winter. Its that med blue with really strange lugs kind of like an arrow head I know you seen them before. Serial # 571 the tires are Schwinn straight side for S5 or S6 rims 26x1 3/8 they have been on it since the 60s Bike has never been apart. I will try to get some old pics up later Brian

Back