When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1949 New World with Schwinn S-8 Rims

-
This is my bike picture any help please I need pedals and continental 1950 gooseneck

20210417_151855.jpg

20210417_151855.jpg

This is my bike picture any help please I need pedals and continental 1950 gooseneck

View attachment 1396838

View attachment 1396839
Looks like you've got a good start, I like those wheels! Are you trying to return this to original or just getting it back to being a rider? If you just want to make it a rider that will probably be quicker and easier, and then you can use it while you look for more original parts. You're in Connecticut? @SirMike1983 is somewhere in that general area and he has experience with these, check out his "Spring Cleaning" thread: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/more-spring-cleaning.108491/

The bike is almost complete is going to be my regular ride the hubs are paramount track are modified with upgrading seal bearings one speed cog especially Shimano free wheel cog I will send you. Another picture ones is done I need a few parts to bring this back thank you anything may help me

My stash for these bikes isn't what it is for my English ones. Parts are not easy to find.

I don't have any brake handles, handlebars, or stems that would be original. Originally it would have had the "flip flop" Schwinn stem, the moustache style flat bars and the Schwinn chrome brake levers. Unfortunately, you're looking at a couple hundred dollars worth of parts there, alone. Those are all expensive parts. The bars alone are probably affordable, but that stem and a good pair of Schwinn brake levers will not be cheap. I wish had some of that stuff because I'd sell it... but I don't have the really top notch parts like that.

Calipers would be "Schwinn Built", and you can sometimes find them at a decent price. They're nothing special in terms of functioning, but they are also not that easy to find on the market these days. I don't have any complete calipers in my stash. I probably have a few pieces of one, but not a whole decent one at least. I used up my last set to restore a prewar New World a couple years ago. I do have some of the later aluminum "Schwinn approved" from the 1960s, but those wouldn't be correct. I believe I still have a handful of the original brake pads, in varying conditions. But you may want fresh pads if you are riding a lot.

1619192612886.png

I have a converted 1940s 3-piece Schwinn tandem crank set that started on a tandem and ended up being modified for a single seater. But again, it's not Continental concentric ring type, it's a clover type that takes cotter pins. It might work as a stand-in, but it's probably not what you want if you really want the post-war Continental "look". I might have a bottom bracket set consisting of cones and spindle. You'll want new bearing balls if you're going to re-build. I'd have to look in the boxes.

1619192561970.png

1619192582879.png

I may also have the shell of a high-flange single speed freewheel hub around. It's the basic New World and not the Paramount type though.

Let me know if any of this is helpful, but I suspect you want more original stuff. Just be prepared to pay the big bucks for the handlebars, stem, and brake levers if you find them.

The zip code looks like Stratford to me. Hopefully it's flatter down there than here in the northwest hills. Give me a 3-speed (at least) all the way up here.

Your crank is very interesting what is your price plus the extra parts the brakes shows are correct for my year the crank is a little different mine it has the paramount crank but I can use that one....let me know thank you

My stash for these bikes isn't what it is for my English ones. Parts are not easy to find.

I don't have any brake handles, handlebars, or stems that would be original. Originally it would have had the "flip flop" Schwinn stem, the moustache style flat bars and the Schwinn chrome brake levers. Unfortunately, you're looking at a couple hundred dollars worth of parts there, alone. Those are all expensive parts. The bars alone are probably affordable, but that stem and a good pair of Schwinn brake levers will not be cheap. I wish had some of that stuff because I'd sell it... but I don't have the really top notch parts like that.

Calipers would be "Schwinn Built", and you can sometimes find them at a decent price. They're nothing special in terms of functioning, but they are also not that easy to find on the market these days. I don't have any complete calipers in my stash. I probably have a few pieces of one, but not a whole decent one at least. I used up my last set to restore a prewar New World a couple years ago. I do have some of the later aluminum "Schwinn approved" from the 1960s, but those wouldn't be correct. I believe I still have a handful of the original brake pads, in varying conditions. But you may want fresh pads if you are riding a lot.

View attachment 1396949

I have a converted 1940s 3-piece Schwinn tandem crank set that started on a tandem and ended up being modified for a single seater. But again, it's not Continental concentric ring type, it's a clover type that takes cotter pins. It might work as a stand-in, but it's probably not what you want if you really want the post-war Continental "look". I might have a bottom bracket set consisting of cones and spindle. You'll want new bearing balls if you're going to re-build. I'd have to look in the boxes.

View attachment 1396947

View attachment 1396948

I may also have the shell of a high-flange single speed freewheel hub around. It's the basic New World and not the Paramount type though.

Let me know if any of this is helpful, but I suspect you want more original stuff. Just be prepared to pay the big bucks for the handlebars, stem, and brake levers if you find them.

The zip code looks like Stratford to me. Hopefully it's flatter down there than here in the northwest hills. Give me a 3-speed (at least) all the way up here.

Hi I need those parts and what ever you have extra I been writing here thinking is you but n answer give a price this is my address 210 Thompson St Stratford ct 06615

Hi I need those parts and what ever you have extra I been writing here thinking is you but n answer give a price this is my address 210 Thompson St Stratford ct 06615
You might want to send him a private message. Click on the envelope icon beside your user name at the top of the page. Unless you reply to his post with the "Reply" tool or tag his username ("@username") he may not see your answer.

I'll look this week in my parts bin and see what I have. I have that crank set still, but I may have some other bottom bracket parts if you need those as well.

Back