When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1949 New World with Schwinn S-8 Rims

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Sorry for the slow reply. So here's the parts I can locate right now. A lot got pushed into storage when I moved house.

I have the crank set I showed you before, but I also located a late 1940s Continental crank set. It's much more worn than the converted tandem set, but it's the right set for a Continental. I also located part of a brake handle. It's just missing the clamp top. You might be able to find or make one and then you'd have a Schwinn handle. I also have a parts grade high flange single speed freewheel hub. The shell is dirty and needs to be cleaned. In the bag is an axle, and I think the cones are there too, but if I recall, the axle is somewhat stripped. You might be able to find an axle or even have one made from rod and a die set (?).

Let me know which parts you would want and I'll give you a price on the items you want.

View attachment 1400187

View attachment 1400186
Okay thank you I did get the parts
Sorry for the slow reply. So here's the parts I can locate right now. A lot got pushed into storage when I moved house.

I have the crank set I showed you before, but I also located a late 1940s Continental crank set. It's much more worn than the converted tandem set, but it's the right set for a Continental. I also located part of a brake handle. It's just missing the clamp top. You might be able to find or make one and then you'd have a Schwinn handle. I also have a parts grade high flange single speed freewheel hub. The shell is dirty and needs to be cleaned. In the bag is an axle, and I think the cones are there too, but if I recall, the axle is somewhat stripped. You might be able to find an axle or even have one made from rod and a die set (?).

Let me know which parts you would want and I'll give you a price on the items you want.

View attachment 1400187

View attachment 1400186

20210507_181951.jpg

20210507_181915.jpg

20210507_181915.jpg

20210507_181915.jpg

That is a good looking New World. It could have happened originally. Check off a lot of boxes with an agreeable dealer. Nice!

Mine model is a 54 continental the sprocket is from a 1954 schwinn tandem it look a varsity..or a racer or a newer model the crank is a 3 pieces crank way different to any 50's continental

What is a different between S-8 and S-6 what year the S-8 were made from the S-8 they were made in stainless steal or not any answer on this
The S-8 was extruded aluminum, and as far as I know the S-6 was chrome-plated steel after 1950, the only stainless S-6 rims I've seen have been on late '40's bikes. Both were 26 inch rims and are pictured in the 1948 catalog (see post #20 in this thread), but the catalog doesn't mention the material for the S-6, and I'm not sure why. Schwinn went to the trouble to make stainless rims, you would think they would advertise it far and wide.

Ok thank you I had a varsity mine probably it was a late 40's or a early 50's it was a schwinn new world with the badge logo schwinn with a type of feathers like a cream color or off-white with the varsity logo very small in the chain guard it had a 3 speed sturmey archer but the rims were chrome with a hump in the center 26x1.3/4 or 3/8 extra it had a locking fork plus a front drumbrake a phantom gooseneck not bad I never thought what year it was the burgundy color it was a 50's the only good thing I pitch the bike it was the phantom grips and the sprocket it is a 46 tooth like a mid-fifties Ballon sproket 4 holes...thank you

There was a three speed version of the Varsity made during the '50's, but I don't remember the exact years. They turn up once in a while, but not very often.

Ok thank you I had a varsity mine probably it was a late 40's or a early 50's it was a schwinn new world with the badge logo schwinn with a type of feathers like a cream color or off-white with the varsity logo very small in the chain guard it had a 3 speed sturmey archer but the rims were chrome with a hump in the center 26x1.3/4 or 3/8 extra it had a locking fork plus a front drumbrake a phantom gooseneck not bad I never thought what year it was the burgundy color it was a 50's the only good thing I pitch the bike it was the phantom grips and the sprocket it is a 46 tooth like a mid-fifties Ballon sproket 4 holes...thank you
Rims with hump in top center are S5.

Back