When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1949 Schwinn New World...Yes, That One...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I've never seen a NW with SS fenders, only painted.

Both bikes look the exact same. Yours just didn't fair as well... At first I thought the stem was wrong, but it could be so late that they already started switching to that stem (same one used on early travelers). I think both brake levers are wrong. Grips, pedals, front brake caliper and the saddle is wrong (also missing fenders). I think someone moved over a bunch of parts from another bike that was decked out in crown gear. I agree with @SirMike1983 that the quadrant shifter would probably be original and still pulling from stock on hand. I would say it is original because the shifter cable housing hasn't be swapped out. If someone added that at some point they would not have sourced an original housing (unless they pulled the shifter and line from another bike - it could happen, but if this is an old update no one would have kept that old housing except a collector). I really like these maroon NWs.

The right brake lever and rear brake are correct. Left lever and front brake aren't. Also, the Quadrant pulley is wrong. You can see on the top tube where the original pulley was (bracket is still there), but the one on the seat tube is clearly from a "newer" Raleigh 3-speed. It wouldn't fit onto the top tube due to a diameter difference.

Here's the right hand brake...

Last edited:
The one other thing you can do is check the handlebars for marks that would be evidence of the click shifter. It's a long-shot, but sometimes you see where hardware has been swapped. Sometimes you just don't have this though.

If you're interested in Sturmey history, there actually was a handlebar shifter that pre-dated the quadrant - this was the barrel sleeve turnbolt shifter. But this is another subject for another time.

For anyone keeping Records, here's the serial number on the bottom...and check out the welding...

IMG_8995.jpeg

Back