When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1949 Schwinn New World...Yes, That One...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
BTW...here's the Serail Number on the bike @Oilit just bought. So, if we go by the letters of the alphabet, does this make mine an earlier frame...along with a lower number?

It looks to me like the E-series frame above is newer - it has an electroforged bottom bracket shell. The U-series looks like a traditional, smooth shell. Schwinn restarted the alphabet at some point not too long after WWII. I have a C-series post-war New World from 1947, for example.

1586319695294-png.png

It looks to me like the E-series frame above is newer - it has an electroforged bottom bracket shell. The U-series looks like a traditional, smooth shell. Schwinn restarted the alphabet at some point not too long after WWII. I have a C-series post-war New World from 1947, for example.

View attachment 1170156

The three piece crank hanger shells were not electro-forged where the one piece crank shells were all electo-forged except for the chain stays to BB joints.

The three piece crank hanger shells were not electro-forged where the one piece crank shells were all electo-forged except for the chain stays to BB joints.
Yup. And the way I have always understood it was that the AS&CO (smaller BB) was a superior upgrade / sports-tourist option (better parts) and the typical clover style (larger BB) was the standard issue NW option (base package). You could build them however you wanted. I don't know if that is right but it makes sense. And you can't swap the AS&CO crank out for the clover and vise versa. Like @GTs58 said, they are different sized BBs designed for each respective crank assembly.
Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 9.53.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 9.53.14 PM.png
1940_schwinn_w3mfc.jpg

Back