When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1949 Schwinn pre-Hornet oddity

-
Dave, yes i had owned that bike since 1998. I purchased from Kennewick Schwinn when they sold out. They supposedly took it in on trade in the 70's.
The closest thing i was able to find regarding that bike was the "Cycleplane" that appeared in the 49 comic book add in Geoff Green's book.

When i owned it, all i did was put on new tires, respoke and replace the cable on the front brake as it was missing. Jay

Just picked up a 50 Hornet serial# G288742 with similar appointments to yours, Dave. Has Hornet chainguard and 4 hole Phantom style rack w/light.also has Bendix yellow band kickback hub, Persons crashbar seat w/chrome springs and riveted name tag under seat. Has BF Goodrich head badge but Schwinn roundel on chainguard. Chainring looks to be off a girls Schwinn. Looks to be a nice repaint, but repaint for sure. Were the AS bottlecap pedals repopped? Showing my Schwignorance (love that word!) here. Any idea what kind of fresh mess I have here?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Back