When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1949 Shelby Donald Duck 20" Original Girls Bike - repaint it or not?

-
I like mine restored personally. I don't collect Shelby bikes for the Value though. I do it because I enjoy it. I will keep a nice original bike any day, but if it's rough in my opinion, it gets restored. Nice little Donald Duck bike!!

1cccccc.jpg

I've seen no evidence to support that and would think that they offered the smaller bikes until '51 as well. I guess the question for the community is does anyone have either a 20" or 24" with other than a '49 tag? @blasterracing V/r Shawn
All the reading I’ve done indicated 49 only for those two. The YouTube video posted about Pawn Star bike not being 49 either and a clone.

The Pawn Stars video is entertainment and I'm not sure their bicycle 'experts' well of knowledge is that deep--more like a puddle. V/r Shawn
That was just one data point and their expert specifically called out the 51 serial number on the 20" bike as a fake.

I've seen the most of these DD bikes listed and sold on Liveauctioneers.com and some of the finest examples have captured in their listing description, one year only. These were all 20" and 24" bikes. Go take a look, just sign up for free then you can peruse all the results and listing details, including some very healthy sold prices.

I agree with you that the 26" was offered beyond '49. I'm not sure it even came out until late '49 with the completely different fender/head assembly.

I'm really a vintage Scwhinn Stingray guy, always learning, so I'd love to hear more about this, but based on my research and limited info out there, like no Shelby catalogs to download, this is what I believe to be factual, thanks

Back