When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1949 Straight bar

-
I received from @Glenn Rhein what I thought was a 1951 straight bar and turns out it is an even earlier '49 in Cobalt. I do not see too many of these in blue. It even has a 4 hole rack in the same cobalt. Most of the others I looked at seem to have the 6 hole rack. Maybe it being an early model maybe they started with the 4 hole. As with many older bikes someone at some point thought a paint job was in order. They also decided to cover up the original paint scheme and do some attempted touch up of the pins on the guard. They got a bit heavy handed with them. I did my best to bring back as much of original paint as possible. The old rattle can paint is almost as hard as the original so I will have to leave some of it. Luckily they had a pretty close match. I had an issue with the original fork and very glad I had picked up this spring fork from @nick tures a few months ago. The wheels were toast so I will be using a set of S-2s from '51 I had. I picked up a correct '49 stem and bars, the seat needs work I may just pony up for a decent replacement. Lots to do on this one but it is coming along nicely.

View attachment 1665713

View attachment 1665714

View attachment 1665715

View attachment 1665716

View attachment 1665717

View attachment 1665722

View attachment 1665723

View attachment 1665724
Great score on a sweet looking 49 Schwinn.. Great bike Paul and RideOn... Razin...

What's the badge?
Schwinn Henderson sorry for bad pic

IMG_0116 (1).jpg

A few more pieces some '59 grips for now , a nice front loader and I picked up a new set of forks and truss bracket to get it back to original. Another really nice smooth solid rider. Maybe someday I will worry about a better color match on the fork but I doubt it. I'm still undecided on where to go next. Black seat and grips? It looks so bad a$$ with the black walls But I do love my WW or maybe brown with off white side walls. The leaves are getting thin and it will not be long before most of my bike will be packed in tight for the winter. So this may be as far as this one gets this year. Even at this advanced stage the paint on this bike makes it stand out in a crowd.

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0238 (1).jpg

IMG_0240 (1).jpg

Back