When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1949 Vintage Schwinn Superior With Original Purchase Receipt, Color Blue

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

momo608

I live for the CABE
Suspended
Spring always seems to be a time when the rare stuff comes out.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=301894945255
1949 superior.jpg

I see this is an older thread but am restoring what appears to be a 49' and it has several differences.

Square fender tabs mounted higher like the 39 catalog, Superior headset and not hexagon nut on headset, has track style dropouts not forward facing. Any Superior experts out there know why?

I see this is an older thread but am restoring what appears to be a 49' and it has several differences.

Square fender tabs mounted higher like the 39 catalog, Superior headset and not hexagon nut on headset, has track style dropouts not forward facing. Any Superior experts out there know why?

With rear facing axle slots, there a chance yours is a pre war model?

Last edited:
@GTs58 That was what I initially thought because of the drops and the fender tabs mounted a few inches up the frame and fork. But the seat clamp is not welded on and was told it had to be post war. I pulled all parts trying to date, the stem has a patent date so I searched. 1944 app and 1945 awarded. That fell in line as end of war/post war. So I thought it must be 46' or 47', but was then told serial of b929 (can't recall but think that is it) supports 1949 on a light weight as the first digit should be year.

I guess I need serial on this bike for sale to see where it stands. I think I may be back to just after the war on year?

@GTs58 That was what I initially thought because of the drops and the fender tabs mounted a few inches up the frame and fork. But the seat clamp is not welded on and was told it had to be post war. I pulled all parts trying to date, the stem has a patent date so I searched. 1944 app and 1945 awarded. That fell in line as end of war/post war. So I thought it must be 46' or 47', but was then told serial of b929 (can't recall but think that is it) supports 1949 on a light weight as the first digit should be year.

I guess I need serial on this bike for sale to see where it stands. I think I may be back to just after the war on year?

I personally would not eliminate the thought, at least not just yet, that your bike could be earlier than 1949. That serial B929 could also be a 1939 number. As far as the non welded on seat post clamp goes. I discount that fact. The lightweights were built at a completely different facility than the common Schwinns and buyers/builders options and accessories were unlimited. Take a look at all the 1939-40 lightweights in the catalogs. How many do you count that have what looks like a plated seat post clamp. And look at this pre war beauty!

http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/prewar-schwinn-superior-tourists.82934/

image-jpg.jpg

And here is another 49 for reference. http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1949-schwinn.15124/#post-74777

Last edited:
I personally would not eliminate the thought, at least not just yet, that your bike could be earlier than 1949. That serial B929 could also be a Feb 1939 number. As far as the non welded on seat post clamp goes. I discount that fact. The lightweights were built at a completely different facility than the common Schwinns and buyers/builders options and accessories were unlimited. Take a look at all the 1939-40 lightweights in the catalogs. How many do you count that have what looks like a plated seat post clamp. And look at this pre war beauty!

http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/prewar-schwinn-superior-tourists.82934/

image-jpg.jpg

That is nice! I also have my doubts but it is so tough to find someone to nail it down. If you notice on the bike listed it has stamped fork end, mine are black smithed so that is another difference and higher quality.

I mocked mine up today to see what I want to do, wheels are later s5 but hubs are durla and script so they are period correct. Not sure how much to work to put into this. I like the large flange hubs. I know a guy with a set on the wood wheels but the price is up there. I had to get rear fender and chain guard off a womans Superior and front is 60's lightweight but basically the same (I could see not difference).

IMG_20160422_202750035_zps9gqfgkal.jpg

Amazing to see theft was covered in the guarantee. By comparing the goings on today, it's hard to believe a time like this ever existed but then again I hardly recognize our country from ten years ago.
s-l1600.jpg

I did not even catch that, pretty awesome, sorry man, I was not trying to jack your thread its just you do not see these often and I have been digging everywhere. I am surprised that bike did not sell or get offered something.

I would post a picture. Rear facing drops and track forks are different things.

Back