When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1949 Vintage Schwinn Superior With Original Purchase Receipt, Color Blue

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Final update. Was able to get it done and took a nice long ride. No issues and drum brake worked well, as well as I assume drum brakes do anyhow as I have never used one on a bike. Previous owner had not ridden since the 80's and I got almost 7 miles in just cruising. Very comfortable, I forgot what its like to ride a saddle like that and not have drop or low bars!

IMG_20160515_121025064_zps984wr4pc.jpg

IMG_20160515_121130092_zps9bsukyak.jpg

IMG_20160515_122145196_zps3scc1euw.jpg

IMG_20160515_121223844_zpszdgdifmf.jpg

IMG_20160515_121005848_zpsqlex7brz.jpg

Final update. Was able to get it done and took a nice long ride. No issues and drum brake worked well, as well as I assume drum brakes do anyhow as I have never used one on a bike. Previous owner had not ridden since the 80's and I got almost 7 miles in just cruising. Very comfortable, I forgot what its like to ride a saddle like that and not have drop or low bars!

View attachment 613336

View attachment 613337

View attachment 613338

View attachment 613339

View attachment 613340

Guess I missed your final update and I'm late to the party again. Nice to see that 39 Superior has hit the road again.
BTW, the post war models had built in kick stands.

That paint looks like it's the same as issued in 54 as an opalescent, (metallic) which is their 4 stage coating process. Metal dip, primer, aluminum silver and translucent blue.. Could it be so?

View attachment 609409

Yet unanswered now almost 4 years. What the heck color is this? in 1946 Schwinn Catalog sights "Opalescent" colors. It had, not crossed my mind until this bike came up. We or most know of the candied Opal colors from about 1953 Jag, 54 Corvette, American and others that changed into 'Radiant' by 57 or so. And they are Schwinn's 4 coat process. 1; Raw metal dip coat for inside and out rust resistance, then, 2; red lead primer, 3; a metal flake or fleck aluminum in clear and final 4; transparent or translucent 'candy' red, green, blue, and others top finish coat.

However, the paint on this bike doesn't look candied or appear to have A silvery base below the blue. Rather it looks like a solid blue metallic ( solid or thick translucent color that is only mixed or blended in Metallic power. Not fleck, nor flake or glitter, but powered.) So, it does not appear to be 4 coatings but only 3. Or, at best, the 4th coat is not colored but clear.

There's a luster, or syrupy honey gloss in this paint, or a a metallic sheen that is unlike Schwinn's post 1953 Opal and post 1957 radiant colors.

IDK but suspect because there
are only lightweights with it, nobody's cared or noticed subtle differences between 46 threw 1953-ish and post 53-4 Schwinn Opalescent paint.

s-l1600-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
These early colors are beautiful! Have an anodized appearance. Some 1950's / early 60's European cars had the same paint. Super fine powder. Just about impossible to duplicate now. So many regulations for paint materials today and auto manufacturers all focus on heavy flake and pearls. Easier to apply and maybe that is what people want these days!

That paint looks like it's the same as issued in 54 as an opalescent, (metallic) which is their 4 stage coating process. Metal dip, primer, aluminum silver and translucent blue.. Could it be so?

View attachment 609409
Ugh. I love this locking fork. Wish that was still a thing or even on all bikes. LOVE that.

Oh I would not depend on that liking Fort but I sure would like it every time I stopped my bike somewhere and locked it up with my u bolt and cable. I have become so paranoid since losing my balloon tired bike that I almost do not want to walk away from my bike anywhere in public.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I don't forget I did this and search again later, it has been a good amount of research.

48'
View attachment 611703

39'
View attachment 611704

Quite a bit of research on the topic bike, parts and date yet the track to 'pre-war or not' was always in the photos. The Paint and color is Schwinn's; per catalogs 'Opalescent Blue' begins in 1946 and runs too 1953.

This is not a Candy because, it is a solid color that's dense and rich with an opalescent flavor, mixed with heavy metallic powder.
There's only two coats of paint: Red Primer and Blue Metallic.

They're the same Schwinn names: 'Opalescent Red, 2 shades of Blue (light and dark), Green' in 2 shades? There's even a metallic Maroon, but they are not the same paint. These are not 'Candy'; Candied with a transparent tinted color on the third coat, top coat in 1954 and beyond rather, solid metallics of the post-war 40's. 😉

Topic bike photo (below) is original Metallic Blue paint: [Nice sparkle and luster on the chain guard down left and the stay at right]

s-l1600_zpsw0hxzgln-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Was there another color of blue in the 40's for these lightweights?
My 47' Continental has what looks to be the same color, but my topcoat has worn down to reveal a periwinkle-cobaltish under.
Maybe its a little lighter

Was there another color of blue in the 40's for these lightweights?
My 47' Continental has what looks to be the same color, but my topcoat has worn down to reveal a periwinkle-cobaltish under.
Maybe its a little lighter
There's 2 that I know of in blue: light and dark. You'll find darker on a 53 and below Streamliner, sort of a royal blue that, like others in same tint, get top marks. So hard to find to find in Ballooners, and usually good vibes on others with that dark blue too. Here's an estimated build date of 1946 on an Continental with the darker Blue:

sup6-jpg.jpg

sup2-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Back