When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950’s? Stucchi

-

iceman

Finally riding a big boys bike
I know nothing about this bike other than it is Italian And I think it is a city bike not a road racer? Any info would be greatly appreciated as there is very little on the web. Thanks

132E6154-A719-4544-AB89-88317E03D813.jpeg

72DBE391-7723-4D9F-8311-7D52E60D8533.jpeg

6F763DA5-FA5C-444F-AC2A-B333107B1F6F.jpeg

6DD3DFBB-AC89-466F-8949-9984FE21991F.jpeg

It looks like it has Universal 'Model 61' brakes which were available from 1961 onwards until the mid 1970's I believe.
The chainset is of French origin and is very much a touring set up with that small inner chainring.
I wouldn't necessarily call it a city bike as I'm not sure if the chainset, the gear changers and possibly the brake calipers are original to the bicycle and have been added by a later owner.
The frame certainly has a late 1940’s/early 1950's look to it.

-----

appears early to mid 1960's

some fittings not original, such as Shimano Titlist shift lever and Suntour Spirt front gear mech

frame constructed of Agrati bits:

seat lug is Agrati "AM" pattern Nr. 005.8049

upper head lug Agrati "AMERICA" pattern Nr. 007.8505

lower head lug Agrati "AMERICA" pattern Nr. 086.8053

fork cown Agrati "SPORT" pattern Nr. 006.8058

dropouts Agrati Nr. 000.8002

fork ends Agrati Nr. 000.8010

bottom bracket shell Agrati "SPORT" series Nr. 005.8057

---

appears original gear ensemble likely to have been Campag Valentino or possibly Sportman. cycle's Campag Gran Sport shift lever clamp and left lever appear to be original.

the non-resident pedals are likely to have been a model of Sheffield

the non-resident stem/bar set likely to have been either Ambrosio I-beam or 3TTT Tourist

-----

Last edited:
-----

absent brake levers were likely to have been Fratelli Pietra three hundred serie fellers:

Universal brake levers   .jpg

slightly odd that such a brake system would not have had a quick release mechanism

this is sometimes seen where the cycle maker does it as an economy measure

alternately, the levers could have been from another maker who did models with lever-mounted quick release such as Balilla or Weinmann

Balilla Corsa 61 early lever a) .jpg

the Balilla Corsa 61 model lever

---

chainset -

reason for fitment of the present UNIVERSEL set from the maker A. Duprat is likely to have been a quest for lower gearing

the ex-works set is probable to have been a three-arm 116BCD one fitted with a six-bolt chainwheel set, whether with or without Y-adaptors

most probable makers are Magistroni and Way-Assauto; other possibles include Agrati, Gnutti & Fratelli Brivo

with the six-bolt pattern the smallest inner which can be fitted is 43T whereas with the present set the smallest inner which can be fitted is 36T

Cinelli with Magistroni chainset & Altenburger gears  .jpg

current UNIVERSEL set -

72dbe391-7723-4d9f-8311-7d52e60d8533-jpeg.jpg

presence of the cycle's current long-arm rear mech would fit right in with an owner's wish for lower gear range

---

bicycle a most excellent find in such good paint and plating condition for its 55-60 year age

enjoy it and husband it well 😉

-----

WOW Thank you all for your support. This is great information. I do have an old Valentino derailer set and some campi brakes that my find there way on to this bike. But right now it will be on the rack until it makes its way to the front. ( it may jump the que). In the mean time I will continue to collect parts and information. You guys are the best.

cool old bike with the chrome frame parts and pump mount pegs. a good cheap parts bike I keep seeing pop up on the Bay Area Craigslist is the early 60's Jc Higgins-Sears campy equipped 10 speeds. I've seen them as low a 40 bucks. a very nice one went for like $300.00.

Back