When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950’s? Stucchi

-
WOW Thank you all for your support. This is great information. I do have an old Valentino derailer set and some campi brakes that my find there way on to this bike. But right now it will be on the rack until it makes its way to the front. ( it may jump the que). In the mean time I will continue to collect parts and information. You guys are the best.

-----

the bicycle's original front gear mech would have been a Campag pushrod type; either a Gran Sport Nr. 1005/2 or a Valentino Nr. 2050, depending on the machine's specific date...

Campag Gran Sport front mech, catalogue page of 1960 .jpg

Campag Valentino gear ensemble, 1968 catalogue .jpg

---

suspect you shall find the frame's brake centres, especially on the rear, but possibly the front as well to be too great to use a Campag brake caliper

-----

I have gone through a couple of boxes and found these so far. I need levers. They May be in another box. Thanks for your help. I will probably not start on it till next winter. Here is what I have so far.

5D865067-DC3D-4492-92B9-3B34445C2FE0.jpeg

BDCC9991-462A-4B26-9FAE-966F5AEFC6F6.jpeg

A3690A71-A151-4F77-AA68-B76EBFA47B7B.jpeg

-----

thank you for this update

the gear mechs and shift levers would be plausible and approximately era correct

the rear gear mech in your photo appears to be the Valentino Extra model Nr. 2170 which launched in 1968

the brake calipers shown are both too late by a decade or two and unusable due to fit

they are what is termed "short reach" with brake centres of 47mm rather than the "standard reach" of 52mm

you might find that that even standard reach might require a "drop bolt" to reach

there are factory produced drop bolts which extend the reach a few mm's; these can be a challenge to locate and tend to be costly

the earliest Campag brakes launched 1968-69 and are colloquially referred to as "no names" because they lack the Campag name on the caliper arms

-----

Last edited:
Thank you Juvela, your knowledge is considerabl. Thats what I love about the CABE. I will be on the lookout for era correct parts. Enjoy the ride

Universal "Sport" series of calipers ('50s-'60s) have long reach and are not that expensive in most cases. I have scored some on Subito for €20 plus about €15 shipping. Ebay probably doubles that total cost.
They are somewhat "flexy" with the longer arms.

Edit: @iceman would you mind if I posted the badge on the "Italian Head Badge Thread"?

Here is the badge of a bike purported to be an early '60s example. Seeing this badge makes me believe the bike in question is more than likely a '50s model. Also, the marque supposedly changed hands again in the early '60s and moved to a new location in Milano which may account for the different badge design.

Edit: G. Stucchi marque from Bassano may not be related to the Stucchi & C. marque from Milano.

Stucchi 60s.jpg

Last edited:
Jesper, thanks for the photo. I have not found the head badge you posted. it dose look new that mine. I can not imagine that there would have been 2 Stucchi bike manufacturer, but I have been fooled before. Interesting stuff. Here is an update on the Stucchi. For now while I collect parts it is a one speed. Only one short test ride so far, it ride good, needs some tweeking. Thanks

3BCAD2E9-2AAE-4335-9071-3F42BA367F56.jpeg

Jesper, thanks for the photo. I have not found the head badge you posted. it dose look new that mine. I can not imagine that there would have been 2 Stucchi bike manufacturer, but I have been fooled before. Interesting stuff. Here is an update on the Stucchi. For now while I collect parts it is a one speed. Only one short test ride so far, it ride good, needs some tweeking. Thanks
It is possible that the G. Stucchi marque was not a maker, but merely a shop that branded frames with their marque which was (and still is) quite common in Italy and Europe in general. There could be a family connection, but I have no knowledge on that matter; and Bassano is over 250 Km from Milano.
Pardon me for not listing the photo credit. I did it on the head badge thread, but forgot to put it with that photo. Here it is: P. DeSade @ Biciclassiche. You can check out that bike at the Biciclassiche website.

Back