When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950 J.C. Higgins Color-Flow restored...finally

-
Makes my jet flow look amateur

WITHOUT A DOUBT THE FINEST COLORFLOW RESTORATION I HAVE EVER SEEN. Beautiful job, perfect finished product. They don't make 'em like they used to! makes my Higgins jet flo resto look pretty amateur! :D Congratulations, that is one nice bicycle. Hopefully I'll find a nice original colorflow to match my jet flow one of these days...

Incredible job!

"Have...'34 Banner / '37 - '38 Firestone Fleetwood / '39 Huffman Airflyte Twin-Flex / '40 Belknap (Huffman) / '50 Higgins Color-flow / '53 Firestone Holiday / '63 Flightliner"

How about posting a picture of that '63 Flightliner?!? :)

Randy

Hey balloontirecruiser! Thanks so much! It's true, they don't make them like they used to - they weren't just transportation, they were art.

I hope I find a really nice original Jet-Flow, because I would cringe to see the chrome bill if I had to restore one.

Randy J - Check your PM :)

Jet Flo's

No joke :D The previous owner of my jet flo had all the plating redone, I'm sure it cost him quite a bit! :eek: someday I'd like to find a REALLY nice original jet flo to keep as a rider.

Fine restore. Suggestions on parts?

WOW, the colors you chose look great. I also just bought a boys and a girls JC Higgins color flow and hope to finish them over the next 6 months or so.
Did you have all the parts to begin with, or do you have a source for the script on the sides of the bike rack, or the batwing light?
Both my bikes are missing those items.

Again, your restoration is great!

Michael Siddons

Hey Michael,

Be sure to check your PM.

You know, I kind of fall into things. For the instance, I had inquired about having a pair of rack emblems made and was quoted $400 :eek: I thought that was way too high, and the guy basically said goodluck ever finding a pair. About 2 weeks later, I bought a '50-'51 rack off eBay that had been poorly listed for about $15 that still had both of the emblems. They were really nice, but I had them chromed anyway so they looked extra sharp. I plan on reselling the extra rack and making my money back. So keep an eye on eBay, they do show up.

Had the headlight bracket a couple months before I even tracked down a headlight. A guy I know just happened to have one, and didn't mind parting with it. I think it was like $5-$10, which was a steal. I've seen those pop on eBay once in a while for about $50-$60.

The batwing is a repro, which I really think is the way to go, because the top-half of the original batwings were plastic - they're pretty fragile and usually broken or cracked. I paid $225 for it (I got it from someone on the CABE, but I don't remember whom). I usually wait around for the bargains, but I needed it in time for the bicycle show so I forked out the money. It was well worth it, because it's one of those things you have to have. Plus, our prize money from the bicycle show paid for a big chunk of it, which we wouldn't have won, if we hadn't had the light.

We were lucky, the gold paint underneath the chrome exhaust rings looked like new, as did the maroon paint dip line on the front fork. It was important to me to match the colors exactly, because the few Color-Flows I've seen look too red or tan (like they matched the inside of the tank instead of the outside). For the vermillion on the front fork, I matched it to a paint chip from our 1950 Sears catalog.

I'd love to see pics of your Color-Flows,
Kelly :)

Last edited:
did you know that the post about your Belknap is one of the most viewed posts? looks like this one is headed in that direstion as well!!
vbulletin

Scott:cool:

There are no chromers in my area... can you recommend someone for me?

Your bike is BEAUTIFUL!

Any interest in my color-flow?

Is anyone here interested in my 1952 JC Higgins Color-Flow? I have one that I would part with if I thought it would be restored as nicely as yours. (It has a round headlight which I believe to be original since this bike was under the Christmas tree for my mother back in 1952. She'd like to see someone save it). I'm near Pittsburgh, Pa (Go Steelers!) I also have an early 60's Flightliner. Then there's this bag of old bike parts...

Attachments

• old bike_001.JPG
    old bike_001.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 367
  • old bike_002.JPG
    old bike_002.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 287
  • bikes_01.JPG
    bikes_01.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 326
Last edited by a moderator:
Back