When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950 Panther rat klunker

-
I've resisted drinking the Kool aid for years, but I'm somewhat won over myself, now.

fullsizeoutput_5e1.jpeg

When I had that disasterous NEXT Sierra Key the LBS guy put a REDLINE crank and sprocket on it.

That was somewhere around 2007-8 and the sprocket was covered with a red sticker with the REDLINE logo across the middle. If you can get a Schwinn sprocket on that you should be fine.

I don't think you want a crank like that on that bike anyway, only a hunch.

Last edited:
Most "new" parts will fit (if we're talking 70's-80's bmx cruiser parts.)

I have Araya 7x alloys (26x1.75) and 26x2.3 kenda krad tires on my 48 DX, with a german Durex 135mm coaster brake. Tires fit fine, had to spread the chainstays for the hub (yanked 'em apart by hand,) but everything is straight.

Fenders and chainguard, though, that's another story.

I figure the main reasons klunkers (then and now) didn't run them, was because fenders are heavy, you'll get chunks of mud stuck in them, you'll tweak them when you crash, and changing flats would be a hassle.

Same goes for chainguards. It'll break off, you're cranks don't fit, it'll bend into the chain and sprocket when you crash, and putting your chain back on would be a hassle.

Plus, they (we,) just go for the bare bones necessities. Riding uphill with and added 15lbs is no fun, and carrying broken parts down a mountain would suck, too.

9AB9E56F-3C70-4F41-984F-5EA31FAE6ACA.jpeg

Chainguard should work fine with 3 piece type cranks, and I’ve never had an issue with it on all the fireroads and trails I take my 40 tallboy on. I got tired of breaking one piece bmx cranks out in the boonies and finally went with the 3 piece. These bikes are capable of much more than you might expect.

Back