When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950 Panther rebirth

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jim Barnard

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I am excited to show the 1950 Panther that was 1/2 of a 2 bike deal from a few months ago. I had posted some of these pics in the thread about "Cobbled Bikes" and asked opinions on what to keep. This was the choice of everyone. The other was a badly painted red 51 whose bits I have been trying to sell off with
little luck.

I guess I was somewhat daunted by how this looked. I saw that every part needed some love and I did not see that the bike was savable in a very original condition.

I am always conscious of sending too much sheet metal to the chromers. I don't think I would have been happy with this unless I sent the tank and fenders to them. Hats off to New England Chrome as they took these as is (well, with stays and horn off) and turned the parts in to shiny happiness for $450. I suspect I will skimp somewhere else.

Most Pics of the 50 had this rack even though I wanted to use the older one from the red bike. I have some of the green left in the rattle cans I had made up for this project. That older rack may still be used on the 50. Winter painting requires you to be quick and flexible. You need to be able to drag a box outside when the weather cooperates. I no longer have an inside space to paint.

Skimp Alert!!!

I did not mix up a match for the "Avocado green" and so used the chrome of the tank as the pin stripes!

Maybe a tad too wide...

Decals!!

Skimp Alert!

I used aluminum backed duct tape to get the chrome ring around the Rocket Ray. I saw these in the main color AND the accent color, but I think the 50 had the main color on the head light.

The red painted on the guard took LOTS of Whisky to get off. Unfortunately, using Scotch solvents can cause a tipsy feeling unless proper ventilation is used.

Dumb Ars Alert!

I used two slightly different pedal blocks on the rebuild of the pedals. I hoped you could not tell. Now one side is heavier then the other...

Cool dual drums!

Oops Alert!

I forgot to tidy up the under saddle. Will do soon!

I had fun with this clean up. She is original enough for me to love. The touch up is obvious, but well matched. She rides like a tank.

Thanks for looking,

Jim

IMG_9038.JPG

IMG_9042.JPG

IMG_9044.JPG

Last edited:
Looks great Jim. Although it may not be 100% original, it will still turn a lot of heads. Many, me included as of now, will only see the beauty as we don't know enough to know any difference. Enjoy

Back