When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950 Phantom Ad

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
This is a page from the 1950 Chicago Cycle Supply Catalog. A few interesting things here. First, the seat is not the Phantom style seat, no decal on chain guard, old style tank decal, appears to be T10s and not Schwinn pedals even though ad says "Schwinn Approved pedals". Also of note is that the ad says tires are "U.S. Royal Master Casings". Looks to me like they probably re-used the 1949 image. V/r Shawn

ad1.JPG

THE FIRST PHANTOMS HAD A MESINGER B-1 SEAT LIKE THE B6!
AND MISSING THE CHAINGUARD DECAL!
I AGREE THAT IS THE OLD ARTWORK FROM FIRST 1949 USED FOR FOR 1950 AD!

I would like to know when the Phantom was actually available for purchase. I know the 57 Jaguar was released early but it was still a 57 model. Any 49 literature on the Phantom?

Here is the earliest ad I could locate for the Phantom. This is from 9 September, 1949. The smaller ad is from Sep 11, '49. I've suspected for some time the Phantom was a mid year or so introduction. Unlike cars I believe Sep to be too early to call this a '50 model. I have other ads now that show the red and green bikes appearing in Dec '49 as '50 models. V/r Shawn

Arizona_Republic_Fri__Sep_9__1949_ - Copy.jpg

Chicago_Tribune_Sun__Sep_11__1949_ - Copy.jpg

So possibly a few Phantoms were made and sent to dealers for "display" purposes to obtain orders for the regular production units? The ad does not indicate available For Sale. I'm still not a believer. ;) The Corvette 5 Speed was a mid year entry and had their Available For Sale ads starting in July. The first batch was produced with May 8th serial numbers. Where are all the July serial numbered 49 Phantoms?

Back