When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950 Phantom disassembly

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

50 Phantom Newbie

Look Ma, No Hands!
First of all I wanted to ask, was it common to have the year stamped next to the serial number on the crank housing. Just curious.

What is the best way to safely remove the bearing cups without scuffing or damaging them?

How do I remove the kickstand. I see a pin on the housing.

EBB3275E-0432-40BA-BEA2-BA9799B478F0.png

34A22646-B010-410C-8776-3698304341C0.jpeg

A7910D3F-490C-4D74-BB94-E47308CD566B.png

That other number stamping is not part of Schwinn's serial number and was stamped later. Someones personal ID number maybe.

That other number stamping is not part of Schwinn's serial number and was stamped later. Someones personal i.d. number maybe.
The other number, 50, which is the year of the bike according to the serial numver, has a diamond shape I’ve seen on other Schwinn parts next to it

2EFBFC3B-928E-4706-BAE7-490147D1D259.png

The other number, 50, which is the year of the bike according to the serial numver, has a diamond shape I’ve seen on other Schwinn parts next to it

View attachment 1048417

I've seen that diamond stamped on quite a few Schwinn frames but there were no other numbers stamped. That stamping was done after the serial number was stamped, it's hand stamped and was done after the frame was painted. If that stamping is what I think it is, the #50 may be an indication of the year. Check out the last few posts in this thread. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/schwinn-cruiser-5-300.125042/page-2

I came across a thread a while back when looking for info on the war time New Worlds. This is a 1942 NW that has the diamonds with the possible year in between. It would be cool if someone could shed any light on these diamond stampings. It wasn't a normal stamping but they do show up now and then. It must signify something if Schwinn actually did the stamping. @detroitbike was going to look into this but haven't heard back on the subject.

1566071424114.png

I think the 50 is a factory stamping because it’s next to the diamond. Also, because the numbers look like it was made with a die rather than a crude engraving

Schwinn and Electra made special tools for their built in kickstands, Park Tools made a version as well. They pop up on ebay. I have the Schwinn version (The Electra brand is identical) and used it countless times. Theyre pricey and if you only need a tool for this bike, do a search on kickstand removal. Ive seen other ways of removing/installing them without the special tool on this site.

Back