When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950 Phantom Paint

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

50 Phantom Newbie

Look Ma, No Hands!
Was the 1950 Phantom originally come from the factory with primer under the paint?

(Looking to use Klean-Strip Aircraft Paint Remover, to remove the patch work of paint)

the frame and forks had primer in my experience. but head light cover, rack and tank got only paint no primer. Lets see what others have to say

I saw another frame on eBay and it looked like mine, with black paint under the red. I’m wondering if black primer was used. (There are multiple spots on the frame where there is black under the original red)

3D9555AB-0CB6-432A-8580-4976E414AFB4.jpeg

This is another shot not on the tube. I believe the paint to be original due to the faded seat tube sticker and other points. I have yet to see any red oxide or any other color under the red

A6CD4B6F-1BCC-488B-97EB-795FAD211CB1.png

I saw another frame on eBay and it looked like mine, with black paint under the red. I’m wondering if black primer was used. (There are multiple spots on the frame where there is black under the original red)

View attachment 1086805
You can see the red oxide primer under the black in your photo where the head badge was through a decent sized chip. Red lead is more of a brown tone color verses red.

And especially as your intent is to strip the paint down to bare metal it's really irrelevant what the original color is. That is, There's no difference between Schwinn's frame be it a Phantom, Hornet, Wasp and others except original color and name on the chain guard. . . I.E. any model.

As far as collectors go, the general rules is, it's your bike paint it anyway you want but do not expect that by doing so, the value is enhanced and or a collector is supposed to care what model type was designated, originally by Schwinn. I.E. it does appear there's evidence, in your photos, you have a red phantom B/C front post would be black too and the primary color would have been red with secondary black that was painted over that red.. but once repainted the only evidence is, it's a Schwinn frame that was made in whatever year the serial numbers say, every thing else is hearsay.

As far as the red lead under the red goes, I'm sure you'll find it somewhere and more than likely, where it does not look this way, the two are sticking together better than the red lead is to the metal.

I do see what looks like red oxide primer now. My intent in getting educated is to repaint and try to get as close to original color as possible.

I’m not concerned about value or resell. This is just a fun hobby and something to tinker with. It’s a lot less expensive than restoring vintage trailers and Fastback mustangs.

I appreciate the input, advice and comments.

Back