When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950 Schwinn Phantom

-
Cleaning up and servicing bikes is sometimes more fun than riding. Its nice to see the improvement from when you initially picked it up.

Cleaning up and servicing bikes is sometimes more fun than riding. Its nice to see the improvement from when you initially picked it up.
Thank you, I really enjoy cleaning up and servicing them, and I'm also kind of enjoying doing this thread. I've done many other clean ups before, but don't usually document the process.

Kickstand was pretty rough. No finish left on it. Soaked overnight in Evaporust, rinsed and dried, and applied a light coating of Fluid Film to help prevent re-rusting. Why Fluid Film? I don't know, I had some on hand and figured it was worth a try. Fresh grease and reinstalled.

If you have a bench grinder, replace one of the grinding wheels with a brass brush. Then go after that kick stand. I use mine for that as well as fender braces and heads on bolts. Then I use a couple of polishing wheels to bring things to a luster, not chrome luster but close.

I also have a small thumb operated grease gun for bearings and races. Much less messy.

1670168843435.jpeg

And with a ruby lens…delicious!
So, I hadn't noticed anything special about the lens but your comment got me thinking, and now I see it is darker in color than other ones I've seen. Was the ruby lens only used for a short time?

If you have a bench grinder, replace one of the grinding wheels with a brass brush. Then go after that kick stand. I use mine for that as well as fender braces and heads on bolts. Then I use a couple of polishing wheels to bring things to a luster, not chrome luster but close.

I also have a small thumb operated grease gun for bearings and races. Much less messy.

View attachment 1745004
What type of grease are you using in this? I need one

I've also had a lot of luck with the POR-15 rust remover. I buy it in gallon jugs. It's kind of expensive but I love it for small fasteners, chains, etc.

Back