When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950 Schwinn Phantom

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks for all of the great responses everyone. I will give it a good cleaning and will not put any decals on the bike.
JG

Then I may apply a new tank and chain guard decal but scrape them up a bit to blend in with the rest of the bike. The lamp housing will probably be touched up.
JG

Providing you're careful and meticulous as to how you'll go about it,, I Think you're going to be surprised, how well that bike is going to clean up. That tank looks good and those rims are better than these were before dipping in oleic acid. :

before-after-s-2-rims.jpg

Wow! Good job on your rims! I can't wait to get started on my bike and I'll definitely take my time. As of right now I'm still trying to figure out if my saddle is correct for the bike. I think it's a Mesinger B1 Deluxe. It's not like the common Phantom saddles. I think 1949 models had them but I'm not sure about 1950 models.

Last edited:
Looks like a great candidate for a re-rustification project.....looks to be really dirty....I bet once cleaned with some aged whitewalls and this Bebeh would gleam like a pretty peach.....
Well, this bike was really rough to start with. I did a complete tear down and cleaned everything very carefully using WD-40 and OA methods (nothing extreme); then I performed re-rustification (dip in my pool while the wife was at work). The spokes were replaced with NOS Torrington 10 19/32" spokes. I'm waiting on my saddle to be finished and a few other things:

IMG_1094.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like significant progress to me! Can't wait to see it finished. Its funny but I take a mix of bikes to car shows--restored and original. The women and a lot of the guys always go for the restored bikes while the real hard core guys barely look at those and go straight for the crusty originals! V/r Shawn

Well, this bike was really rough to start with. I did a complete tear down and cleaned everything very carefully using WD-40 and OA methods (nothing extreme); then I performed re-rustification (dip in my pool while the wife was at work). The spokes were replaced with NOS Torrington 10 19/32" spokes. I'm waiting on my saddle to be finished and a few other things:

View attachment 333766

View attachment 333763

View attachment 333764

View attachment 333765
Just noticing that you are in California.....was this a local find for you? or internet purchase? its looking really good.....keep up the good work

Just noticing that you are in California.....was this a local find for you? or internet purchase? its looking really good.....keep up the good work
King Sized HD found it on CL in the Hayward area; it was in a junk pile. I'm trying to get it ready for the SF ride.

Hayward!! about 20 years ago along a ride on Bart toward Oakland I noticed there was a bike mound in someones yard....I wonder if that still exists....and it was in the Hayward area.....hmmm???

I picked this bike recently. The seller told me that it belonged to a relative and had been in I'm not sure which route I'm going to take with this bike as of right now. I'm leaning towards preserving what finish it has left. Then I may apply a new tank and chain guard decal but scrape them up a bit to blend in with the rest of the bike. The lamp housing will probably be touched up.
JG

View attachment 323552
It’s good that you are preserving it .
I have a similar bike from the 50s.
I cleaned it up & only replaced the tires & saddle.
I did however did a touch up paint on the tank.
The tank decals were missing so I made them up from brass.
I used brass because in time, this material will tarnish unless I polish.
And I want the decal to look old & fit the rest of the bike in looks.
wj6y5u.jpg

Other than that, I’m keeping it original as much as possible.

It’s good that you are preserving it .
I have a similar bike from the 50s.
I cleaned it up & only replaced the tires & saddle.
I did however did a touch up paint on the tank.
The tank decals were missing so I made them up from brass.
I used brass because in time, this material will tarnish unless I polish.
And I want the decal to look old & fit the rest of the bike in looks.
wj6y5u.jpg

Other than that, I’m keeping it original as much as possible.
That's really cool! I like my bikes crusty. That emblem would look great as a rear fender ornament too; maybe like in a 'Schwinn Only' club. We would be the cool kids. Then everyone would want to be like the cool kids. Thanks for the comments...

Back