When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950 Schwinn PIG Build

-

Cruiserdude94

Finally riding a big boys bike
So!! This house blue 1950 Schwinn I scored ar a swap meet. I bought it originally because the OG paint underneath is green and ivory two tone. I have an original paint 55 Schwinn PIG bike that never had a fork when I got it. So after stripping the house paint it unveiled the nice OG painted fork that I swapped onto the 55…well.. now I have a frame that I need to do something with…
4F27BB24-CEFB-4C04-B7CB-F0296364199E.jpeg

52768329-982E-4167-97F9-7E36FB3B9FD5.jpeg

55 with the “new” matching green fork.
6F123EEE-8560-475B-BBE7-184B39AC4F4C.jpeg

After the oven cleaner stripping of the 50’ Schwinn.. the paint was too far gone to build a nice patina rider… so custom it is.. my idea for this build was to make a higher end PIG or pre-stingray..Stingray. However I like the prewar Schwinn colors better so I decided to go with the cobalt blue and light blue two tone on a postwar scheme.
01148567-6FD8-46A1-89C1-AD5A7CA69A87.jpeg

Painted S2’s with the double blue and balloon white walls. Goodyear tread.
7AED8D74-FD0D-4270-9195-1660FEAB680D.jpeg

6B3A4CA5-71B6-43C5-B07B-9AB4D94EF3D8.jpeg

2 speed bendix aviation hub! Still have to get the cable hooked up and new chainguard… I painted this one but it’s been difficult sourcing a guard that is repairable..
A53C5582-3B95-4883-B163-77A221266F74.jpeg

Aftermarket springer was stripped and painted. Still need to lay down the pinstripes on the fork arms, but it RIDES!

9002F8D9-D155-4190-93CB-6BE6D483D63F.jpeg

Curious about your selection of parts. The Bendix Multi-Speed hub is an Underdrive/Directdrive hub. It's going to have a "super low gear". A more useable cruiser gear ratio might be to install a Directdrive/Overdrive hub like found with a Bendix Automatic Blueband.

Thats a fairly long crankarm, for a low bottom bracket frame.

John

Curious about your selection of parts. The Bendix Multi-Speed hub is an Underdrive/Directdrive hub. It's going to have a "super low gear". A more useable cruiser gear ratio might be to install a Directdrive/Overdrive hub like found with a Bendix Automatic Blueband.

Thats a fairly long crankarm, for a low bottom bracket frame.

John
The crank is one from a 24” Schwinn of the same year. Tad longer than the small crank but not as long as the 26” cranks. And the hub choice is purely for uniqueness and cool factor.

I run a 5.5 crank on a few of my shorter frames, you just need to be careful peddeling and turning.
I’ve had longer ones on this frame style and it’s just a nuisance to pedal. This one is way more tolerable. I’m 6’1” so any little extra room on a bike this size is needed. Especially since this style of sissy bar has limited height adjustment.

I’ve had longer ones on this frame style and it’s just a nuisance to pedal. This one is way more tolerable. I’m 6’1” so any little extra room on a bike this size is needed. Especially since this style of sissy bar has limited height adjustment.
Your making my point.

You really don't need the longer crank leverage, when the bike is "under geared".

If you are trying to have a nice little cruiser, it would be more fun to have a 4.5" crank (in the low BB frame), or better would be to have a higher gear ratio. It's not easy to change the hub sprocket size on Bendix Multi Speed hub. The frame limits your choices for larger front sprocket sizes.

A 28 hole Bendix Blue Band (overdrive) is exactly what you need.

This is exactly why the Sting Ray frames evolved into a larger gear ratio, 5 1/2" (24") crank with a raised bottom bracket height.

Just a old guys opinion.

John

Your making my point.

You really don't need the longer crank leverage, when the bike is "under geared".

If you are trying to have a nice little cruiser, it would be more fun to have a 4.5" crank (in the low BB frame), or better would be to have a higher gear ratio. It's not easy to change the hub sprocket size on Bendix Multi Speed hub. The frame limits your choices for larger front sprocket sizes.

A 28 hole Bendix Blue Band (overdrive) is exactly what you need.

This is exactly why the Sting Ray frames evolved into a larger gear ratio, 5 1/2" (24") crank with a raised bottom bracket height.

Just a old guys opinion.

John

I completely understand what your saying but I built the bike the way I wanted to. Based off of past builds and other drivetrains I’ve experienced, I selected this setup. It actually rides phenomenal and cruises way better than stingrays I’ve had. Not everything has to turn into an information pissing match. Congratulations on being right👍🏼

So!! This house blue 1950 Schwinn I scored ar a swap meet. I bought it originally because the OG paint underneath is green and ivory two tone. I have an original paint 55 Schwinn PIG bike that never had a fork when I got it. So after stripping the house paint it unveiled the nice OG painted fork that I swapped onto the 55…well.. now I have a frame that I need to do something with…
View attachment 1781285

View attachment 1781286
55 with the “new” matching green fork.
View attachment 1781287

After the oven cleaner stripping of the 50’ Schwinn.. the paint was too far gone to build a nice patina rider… so custom it is.. my idea for this build was to make a higher end PIG or pre-stingray..Stingray. However I like the prewar Schwinn colors better so I decided to go with the cobalt blue and light blue two tone on a postwar scheme.
View attachment 1781289
Painted S2’s with the double blue and balloon white walls. Goodyear tread.
View attachment 1781290

View attachment 1781291
2 speed bendix aviation hub! Still have to get the cable hooked up and new chainguard… I painted this one but it’s been difficult sourcing a guard that is repairable..
View attachment 1781292
Aftermarket springer was stripped and painted. Still need to lay down the pinstripes on the fork arms, but it RIDES!

View attachment 1781293
This little pigg looks really nice... I'm in the process of doing a 40's Rollfast twinn bar frame in Plum Crazy that will be a really cool.pigg bike when i' done with it..RideOn.. Mark..

Back