When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950 World find. Couldn't say no to this one

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

3-speeder

Wore out three sets of tires already!
A friend of mine bought a huge lot of bikes, maybe 500ish, and so I went to check them out with my neighbor who was looking for some yard art bikes. Looking over the rows of bikes it looked like most of them were good yard art candidates but I did find a few good parts bikes and this one old crusty Schwinn. For $20 a bike I couldn't turn it down. I'll be posting the rehab in the Project Bike section soon. From the SN I think it's a 1950 model.

Nice one. Don't always assume it is a "world" model from the decals because up until '54 the decals didn't reflect the model name. Until that time they all (world traveler, world and world varsity) said "WORLD" on the seat and down tube decals. In '54 the down tube decals stated the name of the model. The seat tube decal still said world (confusing - I can go into all the decal transitions if needed).

1950 checks out on the SN. There are some other clues like the new world head badge that was used on '50/'51 travelers and world models. It also has the early stem found on travelers up to '53 (I think, then they changed to another style in '54). Pedals and saddle are incorrect. Pretty sure those bars are incorrect as they would not be torrington on there. But if this is a 1950, I guess there is a chance it could be original to the bike (maybe). I typically see the gull wing bars that are found on all the lightweight tourists of the 1950s. It would have also come with the black oval grips.

The "world" model give away is the painted fenders with striping and color blocking (if original paint...).
It looks like the paint was tweaked over time though... Or what am I seeing? It looks like it was sprayed blue over the original paint. The bottom bracket cups would not have had blue overspray on the edges as shown in the photo. But then it looks like it has maroon over that... What paint color is original?

You should really try an OA bath on this. I think you'd be surprised at the results. What have you got to lose...

Nice one. Don't always assume it is a "world" model from the decals because up until '54 the decals didn't reflect the model name. Until that time they all (world traveler, world and world varsity) said "WORLD" on the seat and down tube decals. In '54 the down tube decals stated the name of the model. The seat tube decal still said world (confusing - I can go into all the decal transitions if needed).

1950 checks out on the SN. There are some other clues like the new world head badge that was used on '50/'51 travelers and world models. It also has the early stem found on travelers up to '53 (I think, then they changed to another style in '54). Pedals and saddle are incorrect. Pretty sure those bars are incorrect as they would not be torrington on there. But if this is a 1950, I guess there is a chance it could be original to the bike (maybe). I typically see the gull wing bars that are found on all the lightweight tourists of the 1950s. It would have also come with the black oval grips.

The "world" model give away is the painted fenders with striping and color blocking (if original paint...).
It looks like the paint was tweaked over time though... Or what am I seeing? It looks like it was sprayed blue over the original paint. The bottom bracket cups would not have had blue overspray on the edges as shown in the photo. But then it looks like it has maroon over that... What paint color is original?

You should really try an OA bath on this. I think you'd be surprised at the results. What have you got to lose...
Thanks for all the information. I appreciate it. I don't know what's going on with the paint either. Not sure if the guard was blue at one point or what was painted when. First thing I thought about was an OA bath. Going to soak some of the small bits in Evaporust. I'll start a thread in Project Rides.

My buddy has got the bike sickness in a bad way. Look at all those bikes. Holy cow!

Link to the rehab thread in Project Rides

At $20.00/bike you were doing good to limit yourself to one. I might have not had that much self-control.
Well I did end up with two bikes that will likely go to parts. Both Phillips 3-speeds. A mens late sixties Raleigh made with SA AW hub and a late fifties ladies Phillips made with the unusual, and as I later learned, faulty SA SW hub and the Phillips name spelled into the chainwheel.

Didn't post it here but the completed bike turned out well and is shown in the project thread linked earlier. Thanks for asking.

Back