When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950s Columbia 3 Star Deluxe

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

SirMike1983

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I'm not well-read on Columbia bicycles. I ran across one that was blue and white and called a 3 Star Deluxe recently. Does anyone have any information or pictures of these 3 Star bicycles?

Thanks for any help.

Here's my 1954. 3stars were a model down from the 5 stars. I like them cuz they were never repoped.

3star1.jpg
[/IMG]

vbulletin

Akikuro- great looking machine there. This one was blue and white, but I'm not sure of the vintage exactly- it had what I could only describe as a "wing" shaped chainguard.

colgh-1.jpg

This one is an excellent example of what I mean.

It didn't have a spring in front either, but rather long, arching truss rods that attached to a bracket that attached to the headset area.

Like this:
coltruss-1.jpg

The paint scheme was very similar to yours, except blue and white. It was not a re pop though- an aspect that I like. I've never owned a Columbia, but I've certainly looked at them.

Thanks. I'm not sure why but i get the sense that Columbia's just are
favored by alot of collectors...but who cares, right? Collect what you like. They ride like a tank...

Serial numbers are located on the rear drop outs and date charts are readily available on the net if you really want to find out the year of the bike.

I'll have a look at it and check it out per your advice.

I looked at a couple of Schwinns too over the weekend, but the prices on them seem somewhat absurd. I take it that Schwinn is the most popular brand among collectors who are willing the pay out big bucks for them. I'm not that sort though, I guess.

Is there any consensus among riders or collectors that Columbia's quality was in any way inferior to Schwinn during the balloon tire era? I've ridden Schwinn and JC Higgins bicycles, but never a Columbia. I did find the Schwinn to be a bit better-made than the Higgins, though they did come from different eras. Nevertheless the Columbia machines, from what I've seen (not ridden) appeared very solidly built.

Last edited:
I would say out of the American bikes I have owned, the best quality I have owned were Schwinns and a Columbia Ludwig, but I haven't owned as many bikes as allot of the other guys on here. Maybe only 20 or 30?

My friend has a bunch a Schwinn's and I have a couple Columbia's. They seem of the same quality, which is very good. The only thing I know is more info and parts for a Schwinn. If you search the web hard enough you can find a mildly informative video of the Westfield bike factory in the early fifties. Akikuro is right in that they are heavy. My 53 five star ways in over 65 pounds with all the accessories and batteries put on.

Thanks- more good responses here.

I tend to think "heavy" may actually be a good thing for these bikes in some cases. From what I recall reading, ballooners found their real pick up in the '30s when kids needed bikes that could handle all kinds of hazards and not break down (if you could only afford one bike, you sure needed it to last I guess).

I grew up in western New England, and I had family members who always spoke well of Columbia bicycles- perhaps because they were a somewhat local product.

What was their market share like compared to Schwinn in the 1950s? I've heard of Schwinn as being very popular in the post war era, how much were they beating the competition (like Columbia) by? It seems in vintage bikes you always hear stories about how post war Schwinn is the holy grail for many collectors, but I think sometimes that talk sells other brands short, especially where those other brands had a lot to offer. I'm sorry to barrage with such questions by the way, but I've found Columbia historical data much harder to find online than Schwinn. Don't get me wrong, I love my Schwinn balloon tire bike, but sometimes I get the feeling that Schwinn really rules a lot of the vintage bike territory, so to speak.

Finally got to work on the Columbia some today- took a look at the parts and went over it for the first time in a little detail.

It looks like this one is a little older than I first thought- serial # is N53199. I used the Oldroads/Menotomy serial number chart, and that seemed to date the bike to 1950. That seems to make some sense- this one appears to lack many of the features some of the later '50s Columbia bikes have.

I'll be doing some more work on the bike tomorrow- perhaps I'll have some details and pictures then.

Edit: quick question- the seat post appears to be a modern replacement, but is a bit beat up. It reads "Wald 955", does anyone have a link to where I can get a replacement for it that will fit this bicycle? The replacement doesn't have to be a Columbia original, just one that will fit and isn't beat.

Last edited:
Because I'm tall I used a wald extended stingray seat post. It works just fine and picked it up for $7. The original one will be flared out before the taper for the seat clamp, mine is 8 3/4". Picture

Back