When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950's Columbia Headset size

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

fire_strom

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have a Columbia built Goodyear and the headset is toast. I pulled it out and the cups were 33.3mm. the steer tube was 25.4mm OD and the ID was 22mm.

There could be a step on the bottom of the steer tube that bumps up the crown race size but I couldn't tell.

None of these number seem to match the numbers on the headsets I see for sale. The Old school BMX ones are closest but not that close.

Are my numbers off or am I stuck shimming or what.

I tried searching the forum but didn't see an answer.

ubugymed.jpg

Thanks
Scott

Scott, Did they use mm in 1950 for stuff made in USA?

I have a problem too
Most of my steering stems off other bikes are 7/8
But I have one great fork that will only take 13/16. I want a two piece stem so I can put some cool bars on it. But NO Luck for me so far.

I am pretty sure it would have been referred to in inches, 1.31 or 1 1/3 (close and easy, not exact.) I was using metric because that's what I see these days when referring to headset cups (but not steer tubes).

There are shims that go from 13/16 to 7/8. Not sure if that would help.

GL!

Scott

I saw that listing, he is a great seller IME.

The cups' ID's are almost a MM too small. That seems to loose. 1.28" (32.5mm) v. 1.3114" (33.3mm).

Is that within tolerance?

Thanks
Scott

I am still struggling with this. I have two Columbia frames now and both measure out to 33.3. Is there really no headset designed to fit? Bore it out to 1 1/8th (34mm) and use a 1 1/8 to 1" reducing headset?
Come on, some body here must have solved this.

Please-
Scott

Back