When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950's Columbia Headset size

-
Apparently you are under thinking it. Headset arrived today. Fits in neither frame. Cups are too small.
Thanks.
G

Last edited:
Can you post a pic of the fork and head tubes you are talking about? I'm particularly interested to see where the head tube meets the crown. Is the the area you have a problem with? V/r Shawn

The crown is fine, the issue is the OD of the bearing cups where they press into the head tube is too small.
G

Here is my Columbia bike. Thanks to help. I also have a new reproduction Monark threaded fork with 1" (25.4mm) thread diameter that I'm putting on this bike. Can't seem to find a headset with tthe proper bearing cups. Standard 32.5mm old school BMX headsets do not fit the bearing cups are a tad bit too small. (see video).

On some of my bikes with 33mm head tubes, I use 33mm headsets, with a press fit.
However, besides saving the older headsets that we may presume might fit, I cannot advise where to find new or old stock 33mm headsets.

I have also used under size headsets as a temporary work around; that I later forget about.
Some folks sell older headset cups, but it is hit or miss getting them to measure and state the interface dimension that matters.

And then I have been priming and painting the insides of my head tubes and bottom brackets.

Last edited:
I have had this same issue somewhat but with 1 50s Columbia I do still have the OG headset cups as I was repainting the bike since it wasn't valuable in the state it was found. I can measure the cups when I go back to it. May be this Friday. If you're interested I can snap some pics and bring the cups too if you need'em. Like @Archie Sturmer stated you can use slightly smaller cups without issues because once it's all buttoned up it's not moving around & if it does then you're being extremely hard on a vintage bike. You can also bulge out the neck of the cups some but I would look for a piece of galvanized pipe that does fit snug into the frame & grind/sand as needed to shim it. Cups wouldn't stop me; Especially if my bike was as complete as your pics appear

I have had this same issue somewhat but with 1 50s Columbia I do still have the OG headset cups as I was repainting the bike since it wasn't valuable in the state it was found. I can measure the cups when I go back to it. May be this Friday. If you're interested I can snap some pics and bring the cups too if you need'em.

Thank you - That could be very helpful. I do think I'm going to take a more modern 32.5mm standard press fit "old school BMX headset" and shim up the headset cups with some shim stock. My restored bikes are not for crazy riding. I cruise around on them, so no jumping or that sort of insanity. I realize the frame is 70 years old and i'm just 19 years younger than the frame at 51 years of age. I'm too old to do anything too crazy on a bike now, not worth getting hurt.

I've done quite a bit of work on this frame and invested a good amount of money into the bike - so yeah I'm not stopping until I get this bike rolling and riding.

Thanks for your advice.

I have had this same issue somewhat but with 1 50s Columbia I do still have the OG headset cups as I was repainting the bike since it wasn't valuable in the state it was found. I can measure the cups when I go back to it. May be this Friday. If you're interested I can snap some pics and bring the cups too if you need'em.

Thank you - That could be very helpful. I do think I'm going to take a more modern 32.5mm standard press fit "old school BMX headset" and shim up the headset cups with some shim stock. My restored bikes are not for crazy riding. I cruise around on them, so no jumping or that sort of insanity. I realize the frame is 70 years old and i'm just 19 years younger than the frame at 51 years of age. I'm too old to do anything too crazy on a bike now, not worth getting hurt.

I've done quite a bit of work on this frame and invested a good amount of money into the bike - so yeah I'm not stopping until I get this bike rolling and riding.

Thanks for your advice.
Never too old to do somethin' stupid but we do get wise enough not to intentionally anyways. Lol. I am glad the suggestions may help. I don't know a whole lot about these vintage bikes, I am learning as I go still and all but I try to help/be a problem solver

I am still struggling with this. I have two Columbia frames now and both measure out to 33.3. Is there really no headset designed to fit? Bore it out to 1 1/8th (34mm) and use a 1 1/8 to 1" reducing headset?
Come on, some body here must have solved this.

Please-
Scott
I have been through this. You’re not crazy. As you already know, for a proper press fit things have to be the right size for your application. You’re measurements are the the only thing that matters here. Not what somebody thinks “should work”. Your idea about reaming it out to 33.9mm and using headset reducers to get it back down to a more standard size 1” is great. I came up with the same idea but never found a person that would touch it. Believe me I tried.
Other than that you will have to find a Columbia Headset that’s better than the one you have now or if you’re lucky NOS. Columbia size is Columbia size only.
Whatever you do don’t buy a current Wald headset.
I got some Good used or NOS from Chestnut Hollow.
I have a 61 Columbia Torpedo frame hanging at my shop. I have all the headset pieces cleaned, polished and ready to install. I’d be happy to take measurements for you to confirm what you’re looking for if that would help in any way.

Chavez

Back