When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950s Schwinn New World

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Elijah.rain

On Training Wheels
Hey!

I found this at a local thrift store and I'm trying to find out more information about it, including what it might be worth. I'm primarily interested in flipping it, so I'm hoping you all can help me understand what it might be worth and where would be best to sell it.

So far, I've learned that it's a New World Schwinn model produced in either 1952 or 1957 (according to bikehistory.org's serial search tool, although I was told on another forum the bike may be older). The serial number I found on the frame beneath the pedals is: D19494

It's a three speed and everything appears to still function as it should.

I have additional photos of the bike, but can only seem to upload one. Additional photos of the bike can be viewed on a Google drive folder here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1SKoyB6Yxmd4HfWRx3YzrsD1l64b04mHy

What do you all think?

IMG_20200812_172537.jpg

Your link to more pics doesn't work and that serial lookup is wrong again. Your New World is either a 1948 model or possibly a late 1947 issue. I can't help you out with a value, sorry.

I agree with @GTs58 on 47-48 dating. The pedals, and seat don't look original and it's missing the mudguards. It's got some nicer features like the 3 piece crank and multi-speed rear hub. With that said, it's not going to bring in a lot of money.

So I wound up buying this bike, and there's a few details that the o.p. didn't notice but CABE members might find interesting. The original dealer looks to have been John's Bicycles of Pasadena, the Sturmey-Archer hub has no date and doesn't even have the "Three-Speed" stamp like most of the post war AW's, there's another set of stainless S-6 rims, and there's an interesting stamp on the bottom bracket above the serial. I read it as "L.A. CO G" which I'm guessing is Los Angeles County, but what's the "G" for?
In any case, my buddy doesn't seem too impressed.

IMG_3222.JPG

IMG_3223.JPG

IMG_3228.JPG

IMG_3236.JPG

IMG_3243.JPG

Last edited:
1947 sounds right to me. Looks like a WWII era no-date hub. The stainless rims are a nice upgrade. Schwinn took quite awhile to move away from the old-style shifter. The 1946 and 47 bikes I've owned had the quadrant shifter like that one. A 1948-49 New World had the upside-down style shifter with solid faceplate. By 1948 the quadrant was "long in the tooth" technology. It's funny that the quadrant shifters are so desirable now, because, at that time, the upside down handlebar "click" shifter was considered to be an excellent upgrade. I think you have a good project there.

Back